How do you remove mould from bathroom sealant

Options

Comments

• BobProperty
    BobProperty Posts: 3,245 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Having tried various methods over the years I find using a smoothing tool the best way of getting a good finish. I also don't recommend using spit on your fingers as there is a health risk IIRC with the sealants which contain anti-fungicides. It's something like that but I can't remember the exact reason, hopefully someone will put us all straight on it.
    A house isn't a home without a cat.
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.
    I have writer's block - I can't begin to tell you about it.
    You told me again you preferred handsome men but for me you would make an exception.
    It's a recession when your neighbour loses his job; it's a depression when you lose yours.
  • my tip is to rub a little washing up liquid on your finger... glides across the silicone giving a nice smooth finish.

I was also strongly advised against using the 'spit' method (lol) due to health issues... you wouldnt squirt a tube of silicone into your mouth, and you wont get all the way around your bath on one spit!
  • sparklegrrrl
    Options
    I have a major problem in my bathroom with the sealant.
    I have to keep re-doing mine every few months,
    a) because it starts peeling or
    b) because of the mould, both black and lovely pink mould that won't come off.

Q1
    Does anyone know of a sealant that actually works? Perhaps a professional one?
    Also is there a way of applying it so it looks even cos it always ends up a mess no matter what tools I try!!

Q2
    One further question, is there a certain type of sealant I should use on the kithchen sink where the work surface joins the tiles on my wall behind the sink? Or can I use the same one?

I have the awful mould on mine, both pink and black types. Will try the bleach.
  • Choppie_2
    Options
    quick question then, which brand sealant is best?

cheers
  • pickle
    pickle Posts: 611 Forumite
    Options
    I have the same problem. I found if I get domestos and apply for one hour or so (or until mould disappears) it works wonders.
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my tip is to rub a little washing up liquid on your finger... glides across the silicone giving a nice smooth finish.

I was also strongly advised against using the 'spit' method (lol) due to health issues... you wouldnt squirt a tube of silicone into your mouth, and you wont get all the way around your bath on one spit!

Just use water to wet your finger and the silicone won't stick. We were told this by the plumber, who came to check the leak on the ceiling after we called insurance company (we got the water stains on the ceiling downstairs after we moved in the new house). All he found was the sealant broken in both bathroom and en suite!!!!! How people before us kept themselves clean?:confused:

Anyway, water worked fine - the silicone kept well and we had no more stains on the ceiling!!!!!!
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • Andy_Davies
    Options
    jockettuk wrote: »
    what the best way to strip the sealant using a knife etc might damage the bath!

I always use meths to get it off.
  • Gordon_T_2
    Options
    I replace sealant quite often for my customers. Heres how I go about it;
    First remove ALL previous sealant. Then remove ALL mould bearing plaster, other sealants (acrylic, mastics grout etc.) Make sure you get it all out. Its surprising how easily mould spreads. Replace grout and plaster etc with new if needs be.
    Clean the area that the new sealant is to be applied too with meths or silicone cleaner.
    Then and only when the meths etc is dry, dry the area with a hair dryer. This lowers the chance of moisture Stopping adhesion) and also warms the surface and gives the new mastic a good hold.

NOTE.......If the bath moves do something about it. It shouldnt move. No baths that Ive ever seen were built to move. Take the side panels off and chock it up and steady/fasten as neccessary. Some movement will happen if the floor is weak so try to minimise any movement best you can. Silicone sealant will flex a bit and will take a slight movement but not a lot.

Then apply the sealant with a mastic gun and a small tool for the best finnish. If you make a hash of it, clean it off with toilet roll and do it again. You wont get it right first time so take you time and look to see where your going wrong. ie too slow/fast too thick/thin. When you have it done to your best ability leave alone for 24 hours MINIMUM. Give it time to go off properly.
    Use only the best quality silicone you can find. This has been treated with a mould resisting chemical to lessen the chance of it forming again.
  • Mander
    Mander Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Our house is an ex-council place, so I think our type of suite is very common. It is a steel bath that sits on brackets on the floorboards, with adjustable feet, and a plastic panel to conceal it. I couldn't figure out why the sealant kept cracking, even though the tub was full of water when I put it on. Turns out two of the feet didn't actually touch the floor all the way.

A simple fix but it took me a while to figure out.
  • gcorolla99
    Options
    What are meths? I'd like to have the full name of the chemical / product.

Thanks

Gordon_T wrote: »
    I replace sealant quite often for my customers. Heres how I go about it;
    First remove ALL previous sealant. Then remove ALL mould bearing plaster, other sealants (acrylic, mastics grout etc.) Make sure you get it all out. Its surprising how easily mould spreads. Replace grout and plaster etc with new if needs be.
    Clean the area that the new sealant is to be applied too with meths or silicone cleaner.
    Then and only when the meths etc is dry, dry the area with a hair dryer. This lowers the chance of moisture Stopping adhesion) and also warms the surface and gives the new mastic a good hold.

NOTE.......If the bath moves do something about it. It shouldnt move. No baths that Ive ever seen were built to move. Take the side panels off and chock it up and steady/fasten as neccessary. Some movement will happen if the floor is weak so try to minimise any movement best you can. Silicone sealant will flex a bit and will take a slight movement but not a lot.

Then apply the sealant with a mastic gun and a small tool for the best finnish. If you make a hash of it, clean it off with toilet roll and do it again. You wont get it right first time so take you time and look to see where your going wrong. ie too slow/fast too thick/thin. When you have it done to your best ability leave alone for 24 hours MINIMUM. Give it time to go off properly.
    Use only the best quality silicone you can find. This has been treated with a mould resisting chemical to lessen the chance of it forming again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure