Help Dvla Sorn Fine!

Options

Comments

• wall-banger
    Options
    WANTED:Contact Number For SORN Fines Office Please?
    :mad:
    http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPortalApp/
    Contact Us

Telephone and Internet Tax Disc Application or SORN Declaration Enquiries: PhnLgo.gif;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Jsy82CslCxhmkLhnN4vpfJGFjbTfxhdWn88DHVmDyQ7VJVtTTrYK%21-1808533086%211459995830 Phone:
    0870 850 4444 MniLgo.gif;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Jsy82CslCxhmkLhnN4vpfJGFjbTfxhdWn88DHVmDyQ7VJVtTTrYK%21-1808533086%211459995830Textphone: 0870 850 4445 All other Vehicle Enquiries: PhnLgo.gif;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Jsy82CslCxhmkLhnN4vpfJGFjbTfxhdWn88DHVmDyQ7VJVtTTrYK%21-1808533086%211459995830 Phone: 0870 240 0010 FxLgo.gif;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Jsy82CslCxhmkLhnN4vpfJGFjbTfxhdWn88DHVmDyQ7VJVtTTrYK%21-1808533086%211459995830 Fax: 0870 850 1285 MniLgo.gif;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Jsy82CslCxhmkLhnN4vpfJGFjbTfxhdWn88DHVmDyQ7VJVtTTrYK%21-1808533086%211459995830Textphone: 01792 766 426
    An advisor will be able to assist you 8.00am - 8.30pm Monday to Friday and 8.00am - 5.30pm on Saturday.
    Would you like to provide feedback?
    Click on the button to give us your thoughts. document.writeln('FeedUp.gif;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Jsy82CslCxhmkLhnN4vpfJGFjbTfxhdWn88DHVmDyQ7VJVtTTrYK!-1808533086!1459995830'); FeedUp.gif;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Jsy82CslCxhmkLhnN4vpfJGFjbTfxhdWn88DHVmDyQ7VJVtTTrYK%21-1808533086%211459995830FeedUp.gif;JSESSIONID_EvlPortalApp=Jsy82CslCxhmkLhnN4vpfJGFjbTfxhdWn88DHVmDyQ7VJVtTTrYK!-1808533086!1459995830
  • freakedout
    Options
    Hi, am relieved ti find this forum: just got stopped by police today because they saw my Tax disc was 6 MONTHS OUT OF DATE!!!

I now realize after going over all my bank staements and old records that I had never received either a reminder to renew, nor did I get a penalty notice (6 weeks after tax expiry deadline?) nor have I gotten any other communication through the post or email. I paid it online last time, and got a confirmation email to tel me I would get it. You would think they could email me to remind me that I needed another soon!

I am now left with a £60 fine from the police, and an unknown fine from the DVLA lot - unknown til I find out on Monday- now am quite scared and as my user name says very freaked out- my weekend is ruined.

I am NOT a scam artist, I have no intention of defrauding the DVAL of their car tax... I merely have a life and did not think to check the car tax disc. I only use it probably once a week, and have never been late with it before.
    Yes, 6 months is a long time, but not if one has a head full of a thousand other things to think about!

Can anyone help by at least telling me what I am likely to be facing as a fine?
    DVLA helpline says I can only speak to someone to immediatly pay the fine... but not discuss the matter. Doesn't really help if I don't even know how much blood they want from me!!
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TBH i would say you are unlikely to get away with it given the time involved
    i would double check the details the DVLA hold for you
    theyre are not unknown to send reminders with the wrong address(especially with flat no's) and those reminders are not returned to the DVLA if they cannot be delivered so they will assume you have it
  • tastyguji
    Options
    Guys, I actually work for this poor excuse of an agency. I sent a refund application with the logbook notifying dvla that I had sold my car. I work in the vehicles section and have done so for the last 4 years. Whats worse is I sent these documents via the dvla's internal mail system. I received my cheque for the refund as expected, low and behold a month later a fine for £40 for an untaxed vehicle. I laugh it off thinking there clearly must be a mistake, I phone the number stating im an employee etc and sent in the disposal together with the refund. They ''investigate'' and respond with the v5 was not enclosed and the fine has now increased to £80. I have sent 3 appeals in the last month, today I have now received a letter from intercredit who are a collection agency acting on behalf of the dvla demanding £80. If an employee cannot get this waived I feel sorry fo joe public.
    I am interested in the earlier posts regarding a letter from the dvla stating that they do lose mail, can someone shed some light on this?
    thanks
  • bobsp
    bobsp Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I have a similar issue. Declared vehicle SORN 12 days before urrent disc ran out (June 08)

I did not get a letter back from DVLA, then all of a sudden I got a letter saying I must pay £40. I called them and questioned this, and even sent a letter in. Waited and waited. Today I got a letter from Philips Collection Services Ltd demanding £80, usual stuff on it bailiff's court etc.

I called them, they told me there is nothing they can do they have been instructed by DVLA. Called DVLA and told I must pay. I stated what I had done, sent form in etc, basically because someone @ DVLA has not done their job, I now have an £80 to pay.

I an at my whits end woth all of this. What do/can I do now? I have been pushed into a corner by DVLA's incompetence.

To say I am fuming is an understatement.

Please help.......
    Bob
  • woodkitten
    Options
    I suppose i am going to have to pay up too, my son had an accident in his car back in october which resulted in the car being not road worthy just weeks before he left for a year in australia. In all that time the car has been on our drive awaiting insurance instruction, He did fill in the V890 sorn notification form and asked for his tax refund which was duly sent out to him.

Now many weeks later the fine letter has arrived, £80 reduced to £40 if paid by 11/02/09. Now the 2 forms were in 1 envolope so if they had the one how come they did not have the other, when he sent the forms off there was no legal requirement to send it registered but they still do not accept any responsabilty for their staff losing letters but we have to take ALL the responsibilty for letters getting to and from them. Inow find out that at the very bottom of the SORN form in very small print there is a section telling us that once you have made a SORN you will be sent out an acknowledgement letter within 4 weeks confirming the details. If we do not get this letter WE have to contact them. Now why oh why is this not in large print and at the very top of the letter not at the bottom as i have just read this today on the new SORN form they have enclosed,no doubt my son did not read the form through to the bottom small print he just thought he had done his duty and filled in the correct form, so they lose the forms all the time by the amount i have read here and other web sites and we have to moniter ourselfs and them too. SORRY FOR SPELLING MISTAKES by the way.
  • bobsp
    bobsp Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    I know what you mean, WE have to do all the chasing, if they dont bother to send out the letter, they just fine you instead.

Its not quite right te wat DVLA is run, always against Joe public. I taxed the car in October after all the work was done, and it was MOT'd, they didn't say anything about it then, nothing. I aked why, they told me they do not have to............

I am not sure what to do here, I sure as hell do not want to pay them a penny, as it is there incompetence that has got me in this situation in the first place.........
  • jambot33
    Options
    Can anyone help I've just recieved a letter from the dvla saying I have to pay a fine as my car was parked on the road when it was declared sorn. This is not true I had an operation on my knee at the begining of november and my car has been off the road sincethen, till the 13 feb. The letter states it was parked on public road it has been parked in my garden to the side of my house. I was on crutches un till the 16th january and couldn't walk far for a further 2 weeks let alone drive. The letter states it was on the road at 08:56 on the 23.01.09 clearly not true. My only option seems to go to court and contest this. Has anyone any idea how i should proceed.
  • jambot33
    Options
    My car was clearly parked at least six foot into my garden it was was no were near the road.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    jambot,

Does sound like it might end up in court (theoretically*). but there's no harm in trying to talk sense to them.

Either phone or write to them asking them who spotted the car and where (the letter you have now should say where it was seen - is the location given known to you?) and ask them what evidence they have that it was definately your car that was seen, ask for a copy of the photograph (if any).

Suggest to them that there must have been a clerical error mis-typed registration number or a cloned vehicle.

*They don't take all cases to court, what they usually do is farm out the non payers to Debt collectors, who will send you letters demanding payment, which you can feel free to ignore, if you want to go to court.

As part of your defence in court (when (and if) they finally bother to take you to court) you could use the argument that the DVLA did not offer you an option of an independent appeal of the case against you, and they have finally taken the matter to court after a wholly unreasonable amount of time. Which is a contravention of Article 6 of the convention on Human Rights.

Art 6 (roughly) gives everyone who is faced with conviction or a fine, penalty or forfeiture the right to an independent tribunal established in law within a reasonable time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure