We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

The Old Regular Savers Discussion Thread 28/12/24-29/1/26

1…471472474476477…1113

Comments

  • Hattie627
    Hattie627 Posts: 782 Forumite
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    friolento said:
    Slinky said:
    Applied for the Darlington RS on Saturday as a new customer. Received a reference number but no other communication from them. Expected that I might hear something from them today, but nothing as yet. Anybody else still waiting?

    If you log into your (new) online account, you can see your Darlington Account number that you must use with their sort code and account number (IIRC it is 40-05-30, 14575881). Or you can just use your debit card and make a deposit when logged in - though that takes 2-3 days to get credited.
    I paid £250 by debit card on Friday 8th into new Darlington RS. Showing today (Monday) with a credit date of 8th August.
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,443 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Opened Darlington and registered online and it was going so well but then they required proof of my linked bank account so I had to upload a pdf of a  statement - I just uploaded page one with my name and address on as it runs to 4 pages - would one page be acceptable?
    It then gave me a list but I had to tick "other" as bank statement was not listed  as proof of ID and then UK - think I might have muddled this up.
    I have sent across my initial deposit.
    (Bank account I've had for decades so I've no idea why proof needed) 

    Added now to the never ending list of incomplete things I am waiting to hear about - Virgin, Monmouthshire and now Darlington :) 


    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • brucefan_2
    brucefan_2 Posts: 253 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Slinky said:
    Applied for the Darlington RS on Saturday as a new customer. Received a reference number but no other communication from them. Expected that I might hear something from them today, but nothing as yet. Anybody else still waiting?
    Yes, I'm still waiting.
    £6000 in 2023
  • dlevene
    dlevene Posts: 397 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    WillPS said:
    Is it too early to start speculating about UK Savings Week? 22nd - 28th September 2025

    https://uksavingsweek.co.uk/

    The players last year were:
    • Melton BS with a 6% var 2 year saver which has so far remained at 6%
    • The Nottingham with a 6% var branch regular saver (which fell like a stone)
    • HSBC boosted their regular saver from 5% to 7%


    I missed the 7% HSBC account and am still annoyed about it! Fingers crossed they'll repeat 
  • clairec666
    clairec666 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    WillPS said:
    Is it too early to start speculating about UK Savings Week? 22nd - 28th September 2025

    https://uksavingsweek.co.uk/

    The players last year were:
    • Melton BS with a 6% var 2 year saver which has so far remained at 6%
    • The Nottingham with a 6% var branch regular saver (which fell like a stone)
    • HSBC boosted their regular saver from 5% to 7%
    And not forgetting YBS with their £50 RS which has thus far remained at 8%.
    I keep forgetting it's a variable rate. I guess for such a small monthly deposit they won't gain much by slashing the rate. I reckon only a couple of pounds per customer.

    dlevene said:
    WillPS said:
    Is it too early to start speculating about UK Savings Week? 22nd - 28th September 2025

    https://uksavingsweek.co.uk/

    The players last year were:
    • Melton BS with a 6% var 2 year saver which has so far remained at 6%
    • The Nottingham with a 6% var branch regular saver (which fell like a stone)
    • HSBC boosted their regular saver from 5% to 7%


    I missed the 7% HSBC account and am still annoyed about it! Fingers crossed they'll repeat 
    I managed to grab the HSBC one, but somehow missed the Virgin 10%  :s
  • I have Suffolk Online 1 Year Variable Rate Regular Saver (31.03.2026). I missed the 30 days withdrawal window last time when the rate reduced to 4.75%
    With BoE rate reduction, any news of rate reduction for this particular regular saver?  Sorry, if this has been discussed in the posts before, I might have missed it
  • s71hj
    s71hj Posts: 1,234 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    s71hj said:
    s71hj said:
    s71hj said:
    Bobblehat said:
    castle96 said:
    But not bigger than mine - SO THERE!!!
    Now don't, it's wicked to mock the afflicted.
    The Colonel has noticed things are getting a bit too silly ..... Monty Python :smile:
    Well nobody likes a good laugh more than I do. Well except my wife and some of her friends. And Captain Johnson. Come to think of it most people like a good laugh more than I do, but that's beside the point.

    Sorry.... and now for something completely different.......
    Sorry, this to much. Spam, spam, spam, spam
    I'm currently doing about 200 to 300 £1.01 debit card transactions per week from RBS/Natwest into my Skipton savings account to get regular saver round ups. So my question is, should I be expecting the Skipton Building Society inquisition any day soon? 
    1. As someone else has mentioned Skipton may contact you about this. Though I note @gt94sss2 mention direct debits and you said debit card payments.

    2. If you're using the RBS/Natwest roundups feature, just as a heads up in case you hadn't noticed you can add a multiplier to your roundups to speed up this process. Though again you are gaming the system slightly, but maybe by using the multiplier you can reduce the number of debit card transactions to more manageable levels. a nice £4.95 going in per payment instead of 99p might be useful.


    Yes, I have the multiplier on, but worthwhile to have drawn attention to it. I can't help but feel gaming the system is a bit of a mute point on this forum. Institutions have every opportunity to create terms and conditions that prevent any particular approach to their offers. I tend to think that money is made FROM "typical cuatomers" and all we can do is avoid being typical customers with the aim of being the ones to make the money FROM the institutions. 
    The lengths some go to leaves me temporarily speechless.
    Each transaction takes literally seconds and is something I can do whilst watching telly or being driven in the car somewhere and the money will then sit in an account that I'm reasonably confident will be a market leading account rate wise for some years going forward. 
    It was a joke. Mute point. Speechless.
    Should have been moot point!
    I'm sure lots of people think the thing you said you think but don't in fact actually think! 
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.