is Gatwick open overnight?

Options
We are flying out at stupid o'clock on saturday morning and think that the best option is to get the last train to gatwick the night before which will get us there for 1.45. Will we be allowed in the airport and will anything be open. there are five of us including an 11 year old and a three year old

TIA

stef
I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008

Comments

• jay_cee_2
    Options
    i would of thought so, it´s an airport, aren´t they 24hrs, especially a big one like gatwick, worth a check here:
    http://www.gatwickairport.com/
    Tel +44 (0)870 000 2468
  • Threewheeler
    Options
    :beer: :j Yes, you can access Gatwick, both North and South Terminals 24 hrs.
    Limited facilities so take drinks etc with you. seating is scarce so be prepared, ther are a few areas that have fair seating, dependant on your booking in time, I would check in and get rid of luggage as soon as possible.
    go through Security as soon as you can as airside there are better facilities that open up fron 04:30. Enjoy.
    :grouphug: Threewheeler
  • stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Options
    wow that was quick - cheers guys. the alternative is an expensive coach or overnight hotel or illegally squished into exoh's car. Our check in is 0430 so it's only a few hours
    I'm going to feed our children non-organic food and with the money saved take them to the zoo - half man half biscuit 2008
  • Sam_Bee
    Sam_Bee Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Options
    I believe that the First Capital Connect (or whatever the Thameslink is now called) runs 24 hours a day from London Bridge, St Pancras International, Kentish Town etc (although only 1 train an hour).

Do double check, but that might be a better option?
  • Diamond78
    Diamond78 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use to work for gatwick express and as one post stated it is open 24hrs. Some shops are shut at night (the ones before passport controll)but ones in duty free are open. Have a lovely holiday and great new year
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    Sam_Bee wrote: »
    I believe that the First Capital Connect (or whatever the Thameslink is now called) runs 24 hours a day from London Bridge, St Pancras International, Kentish Town etc (although only 1 train an hour).

Do double check, but that might be a better option?

Almost - they do have a gap in the small hours which might be at just the wrong time.

But Gatwick Express/Southern do run all night, in the week at least

Depends really where OP is starting from.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    Not a lot landside will be open at that time, so the three hours before check-in might be a bore but as soon as you check in go through to the departure lounge, where you'll be able to get a hot breakfast by that time. :D
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • stefejb
    stefejb Posts: 1,725 Forumite
    Options
    dzug wrote: »
    Almost - they do have a gap in the small hours which might be at just the wrong time.

But Gatwick Express/Southern do run all night, in the week at least

Depends really where OP is starting from.

Am starting from feltham so clapham junction is doable but not really london bridge at that time of night. Wouldn't mind the three hours myself but it might be a bit much for the 3yo. Saying that it's going to be just as horrid to get everyone up at 3.30 to go by car. We will take drinks, sarnies, nintendos etc. should be fine :)
  • lynn44
    lynn44 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We were in same postion as you with yound child, Luckily Burger King open upstairs , We took our luggage with us in the lift, Then found somewhere to sit and they had a snooze,I couldnt relax so stayed awake...boring
    Enjoy your holiday
    I would love to be a Travel Agent :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family