MPVs: Scenic, Meriva or X.picasso? C.Max?

Options
I am hoping to purchase a second hand MPV, probably about 2004, 5 seater 1.6 (ish) but it must be an automatic as I have a back problem.

I have looked and sat in several and at first decided that the Megane Scenic was the one, due to it being comfy, roomy and having a great boot. BUT I have heard that they tend to be a bit unreliable and parts are costly. Particularly wiper blades (£69::eek: chain store ones dont fit), and you have to take it to the dealer to change a bulb (is this true?).

So we wondered about Meriva, which I also like and the semi automatic ones are fairly easy to come across. The Xsara picasso seems OK but its an old design and husband thinks it looks outdated already. The Ford C Max would also suit our needs.

I would be grateful if you would give me your experiences of the above MPVs in terms of reliability and running / servicing costs.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Test drive the semi-auto first to see if you get on with it. Some people just can't get the knack of it and sell the car soon after.

Honest John recommends the C-MAX time and time again for people with bad backs and the ease of access.
    The man without a signature.
  • peachespeaches
    Options
    Thanks. Have been on honest Johns and had a read at all the reviews. The Renault Scenic seems to have a lot of bad press, but we really like the look of it. The ignition coils seem to be a bit issue, which is something I have never had to replace on any of my cars. Has anyone had a good experience with Scenic reliability? Are the maintenance costs really prohibitive?

Any more advice please? There must be loads of you out there with an MPV.
  • RichTeaBiscuit
    Options
    Neighbour has a 1.8 16v Scenic on a 02 plate. Had a waterpump fail and no garage wanted to touch it due to the easiest method being dropping the engine out the the bottom. Cost him £100's, 4 months later it's peeing power steering fluid out from somewhere.
    I've never had a Renault myself purely for the fact that they're crap, I have owned around 30+ cars four being French - 2 Peugeots, 2 Citroens and I put a gearbox in all of them.
    But a Zafira or better still a big Volvo estate.. I love them.
  • davsidipp
    davsidipp Posts: 11,514 Forumite
    Options
    we had a 55 plate grand renault scenic and one of the coils went on that as well as all the electrial faults it had too many to mention dont touch them with a barge pole.
    Before you point fingers,make sure your hands are clean !;)
  • peachespeaches
    Options
    Anyone had any experience of the Easytronic gear box in the Meriva? Will it confuse me as I have driven an automatic for 5 years? I can drive a manual, its just that putting in the clutch causes pain. It seemed to slip too easily between manual and automatic and I wondered if it would confuse me.
  • dodo69
    dodo69 Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My Ford C-Max is now 3 years old with nearly 40,000 miles on it. It replaced a rapid but unreliable BMW 330d and I have ben delighted with it. Its a 2.0 TDci Ghia with more gizzmos than I know what to do with. It does 42-48 mpg and is a very quick car. Go to honestjohn's excellent website and do the car search.:D
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Often forgotten & hard to find an auto, but an excellent value for £$£$ MPV is Mazda Premacy - now Mazda 5 has replaced it.

This is the only auto, on Mazdas own site

http://www.mazdausedcarlocator.co.uk/control.cfm?MREQ=app_viewVehicleDetails&StockListID=547443

The Meriva you mention, I'd have thought a bit small - how about Zafira? But DO check those uncomfortable seats, on the last model - maybe the current range, is better!

VB
  • wadewade
    Options
    Just looking to change the Scenic Automatic we've had for 8 years with another one (or possibly a Zafira). Nothing bad to say about it, perhaps I've just been lucky or looked after it!
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    I have a two year old manual Meriva and it is has been an excellent car, reliable, easy to drive/park, cheap to insure (Diesel) etc. I have driven the Easytronic and it's pants. Neither one thing nor the other. I would advise going for a full automatic gearbox which unfortunately isn't available with the Meriva. All Vauxhall have done is bolt on the semi auto bit to a conventional gearbox. Try a manual though, the clutch is very light and the brakes work well with very little effort. The seats are quite supportive although a little firm. Try a Zafira, there's a proper auto version of that in both petrol and Diesel. I've driven one and it's quite good although too big for my needs.
    Didn't like the C Max, but that's personal taste, the A pillars and vision or lack of it through them was an issue for me also there's no spare wheel or an option for one and I couldn't find a comfortable driving position!.
    French cars - no.
  • robby-01
    robby-01 Posts: 1,336 Forumite
    Options
    i would rather buy a new wheelbarrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts