We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Opening a new cash isa for multiple tax years

I am not entirely sure if If I can open and deposit £ 20,000 in a cash isa on multiple tax years.

Let's say I have deposited £ 20,000 on cash isa in the tax year 2023/2024. I won't close this cash isa and neither transfer the amount to a new cash isa, I will simply keep it.
Will I still be able open a new cash isa and deposit another £20,000 in the tax year 2024/2025 ? 

Comments

  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 4,248 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 30 September 2024 at 4:53PM
    Yes.

    You get a new £20,000 allowance every tax year until the government of the day decides differently.

    You can put it anywhere you want, previous years are irrelevant.

  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 15,135 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    and - if the rules of the particular existing provider allow it - you don't even need to open a new ISA, you can just add £20,000 to the existing one each new tax year. 
  • Hello,

    If I understand correctly transferring a cash isa that has built up during past tax years to a new provider does not count towards this tax year £ 20,000 allowance ?

    Thank you
  • Barkin
    Barkin Posts: 1,013 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    July68 said:
    Hello,

    If I understand correctly transferring a cash isa that has built up during past tax years to a new provider does not count towards this tax year £ 20,000 allowance ?
    Correct.      
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 5,909 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    July68 said:
    Hello,

    If I understand correctly transferring a cash isa that has built up during past tax years to a new provider does not count towards this tax year £ 20,000 allowance ?

    Thank you
    Yes provided you do the transfer correctly - ie ask the new provider to arrange it by giving them the details of the old provider. Don't do it yourself as that WILL use up this years allowance. 
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.