PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Traditional New Year Meal?

Options
HI

I wondered if you had any traditional New Years meal in your house. If so would you be good enough to let me know I am looking for inspiration and actually planning what to buy before venturing to Tesco!!!

So any help would be gratefully received. I need a meat eaters meal and a veggie meal.

Thank you
I saw two shooting stars last night
I wished on them but they were only satellites
Is it wrong to wish on space hardware
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care

Comments

• salster
    salster Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    In our house it's Turkey.

Even when everyone else is sick of it, I'm all ready to cook another one.

My sister tends to do Pork and Chicken, nut for me it's basicall another Christmas dinner. :rotfl:
    Aiming to be Debt free by October 2013 :D
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Anything seasonal

Pheasant?

You might still get a Goose

Otherwise, play safe and go for Beef or Pork.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On the might still get a Goose, if you have time to defrost them Aldis had them in frozen in the one near me, was suprised to see some left on Christmas Eve when I was in there.

New Years Day is supposed to be beef here depending if anyone feels up to it....or I could just do the Turkey that is in the freezer uneaten from Christmas
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • MissEyre
    MissEyre Posts: 650 Forumite
    Options
    I do a big soup-its comforting, can sit on the hob for ages if people are getting up very slowly, and contains tons of veg and fluids to hydrate those with poorly heads. But then I don't have a full sit down New Years lunch-just leave it on the side for anyone who needs feeding.
  • perfectlypoor
    Options
    we normally go to my parents where we basically eat another christmas dinner or if we stay at home we have a roast of some sort depending on how we feel from the night before might be a big christmas type meal of just lamb/pork chops,mash and peas.
    LBM-29/08/07
    Good Enough Club member no 42
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,762 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My friend bought an Aldi goose, she said it was enormous....and all she got from it was a sideplate of meat.

We're having beef as we haven't had beef so far this christmas.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chicken broth with homemade bread
    Roast beef roast potatoes yorkshires sprouts homegrown carrots green beans and peas gravy and skirlie
    Home made raspberry cheesecake with cream ( with homegrown rasps)
    It sobers them up quite quickly when they think they might miss lunch:rotfl:
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Steak pie! With loads of creamy mash and vegetables :drool:

My mum is the best at making it, she always add pork links (sausages) to it and it's delicious. Funnily enough though, no one likes it made with beef links _pale_.

Lx
  • fletch3163
    Options
    Big pot of home made sick, Big Desperate Dan steak pie (yes links, chunky veg and pie paste on top) and trifle.
    Grocery Challenge M: £450/£425.08 A: £400/£:eek:.May -£400/£361 June £380/£230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
  • Ophie
    Ophie Posts: 5,008 Forumite
    Options
    fletch3163 wrote: »
    Big pot of home made sick, Big Desperate Dan steak pie (yes links, chunky veg and pie paste on top) and trifle.

I think I'll pass dinner at your house if you don't mind _pale_ :grin:
    I saw two shooting stars last night
    I wished on them but they were only satellites
    Is it wrong to wish on space hardware
    I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts