We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Plug in solar

1…4647495152…67

Comments

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,386 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    So still excluding batteries.

    Does G.98 inherently permit only one device? I mean not allowing the 3.6kW to be made up from multiple devices.

  • TroubledTarts
    TroubledTarts Posts: 1,032 Forumite
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Just an update since I plugged my system in on 5th May.

    This is actually quite conservative as most of our use of the microinverter is from battery during the Agile expensive hoursnwhich average more than the 25p kWh I have set in the ecoflow app.

    Our system cost £260 so £197 to go til it's paid for itself.

    1000047755.jpg
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,768 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 July at 4:28PM

    That's quite impressive!

    I've generated roughly twice as much (not a huge surprise as I've got 1.8kWp of panels) bit I'm only valuing my kWh at 12p (as most get exported) so I'm also looking at £63-64 of earnings.

    My system unfortunately cost me about £1300, once you add in the costs of cables, connectors, brackets and so on, so it's going to take a bit longer to pay for itself 😭

    Before anyone goes reading anything into that, I'm not really the target market for plug-in /balcony solar - my electricity use is mostly covered by my professionally-installed panels for 6-8 months of the year. The plug-in system is just an experimental addition.

    If I was a more normal household, I'd be looking at maybe £100-120 of earnings so far, £200-£250 for a full year and a 5-7 year payback period.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Pretty similar to our system which went live on the 30th April :

    Output.jpg

    Difficult to say what the actual savings have been so far, as the generation has replaced power drawn from the battery or topped up the battery. But on a few days we would have slightly exceeded the battery capacity without having the solar.

    The battery charges up overnight at 5.48p per kWh..Worst case and assuming no losses from the charge/discharge cycle on the battery, we have saved 264 x £0.055 = £14.52.

    Not a massive payback on the £350 cost to build the system. And we have been in the middle of summer with lots of very sunny days. With some allowance for the battery inefficiency and dipping into peak rate on a handful of days, then I guess we could be closer to £18 or £20 saving to date.,

    However, with a longer term hat on, I suspect the EDF 5.48p off peak rate won't last forever, so the extra input from the solar will be worth more than it is today. And unless the panels or inverter fail prematurely, the system should keep generating for many years.

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,386 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    However, with a longer term hat on, I suspect the EDF 5.48p off peak rate

    What tariff is that by the way, and is it only available if you have an EV?

  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,768 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 July at 8:30PM

    What tariff is that by the way, and is it only available if you have an EV?

    I'm not lohr500 but I know the answer to this - I hope they don't mind me answering!

    Per this post, lohr500 switched to EDF's GoElectric EV tariff back at the end of March (but didn't need to have an EV).

    That was before the US-Iran war, and energy prices have risen since then. EDF are quoting me 6.99p offpeak (7 hrs), 30p peak, 52.85p/day SC. On the face of it that's cheaper than my current Intelligent Octopus Go fix (8p offpeak, 32.72p peak, 47.71p/day SC) but the difference is only £20 a year or so.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 1,626 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 18 July at 9:03PM

    It's EDF's GoElectric tariff.

    I switched to EDF at the end of March this year when UW hiked their off-peak Eco7 tariff significantly in our region.

    At the time, EDF were offering a fix to 01/11/27 at 5.48p for 7 hours off-peak and 32.31 peak, with a 58.21p s/c.
    With all the uncertainty in the world, for me it was a no brainer to get a fix at those rates until November next year.

    In early April I think it moved to 7p off-peak.

    The peak rate cost really doesn't matter to us, as our battery is covering the daily peak period demand pretty much 100% of the time. Getting the lowest off-peak rate is the important thing for us as the electric AGA uses a shed load of off-peak power each night to reheat the core.

    It is an EV tariff, but when I spoke to one of their customer service agents on the phone and asked if an EV was mandatory, he said not!! When signing up it talks about an EV being a requirement, but I can't see anything in the specific EV T&Cs that insist on this. All being well, we will be picking up our first EV at the start of next month, so it will be academic anyway.

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,386 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    So initially we'll be allowed one plugin system per household, but eventually should be allowed multiple systems, one per circuit!

    I just totted up that we have eight socket circuits. There will be at least two more once I run a proper supply into my new shed. Conversely I'll bet many people don't even know, let alone know which sockets are on different circuits.

  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 5,931 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 19 July at 8:30AM

    EDF are quoting me 6.99p offpeak (7 hrs), 30p peak, 52.85p/day SC. On the face of it that's cheaper than my current Intelligent Octopus Go fix (8p offpeak, 32.72p peak, 47.71p/day SC) but the difference is only £20 a year or so.

    @QrizB I'm curious as to how you worked that out, given that EDF offer 7 hours off peak and Octopus offer only 5 hours. Because I charge my EV slowly then extra hours are valuable. And because I heat electrically I would like to achieve a temperature peak as late in the morning as possible. And because I have a home battery, the shorter the time the battery has to discharge before I get significant solar generation, the better. So if I were restricted to 5 hours then 02:00 to 07:00 would be a good deal better than 00:30 to 05:30, the cheap-rate time for the Octopus tariff.

    Reed
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,768 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 19 July at 9:50AM

    @Reed_Richards wrote:

    I'm curious as to how you worked that out

    I'm in a relatively unusual position, even for MSEers, with EV, solar and a 16kWh battery that will generally get us through the 18 peak hours even in the depths of winter (although when Mrs QrizB runs her convection heater in her crafting shed in Decemver or January, we do run out by late afternoon).

    Our net import (house and EV) is around 3500kWh a year. Almost all of that is at the 8p off-peak rate, such that our composite rate is under 10p/kWh.

    I estimate that switching to EDF might save 1p/kWh on that composite rate. Saving 1p/kWh on 3500kWh is an annual saving of £35.

    But EDF's standing charge is 5p/day higher, an extra £18 a year. 35-18= £17 a year saved.

    Octopus offer only 5 hours.

    Intelligent Octopus Go gives me six hours, 2330-0530.

    Because I charge my EV slowly then extra hours are valuable.

    All EV charging is (currently) at the 8p rate on IOG, even when that's outside the 6 core off-peak hours.

    because I heat electrically I would like to achieve a temperature peak as late in the morning as possible.

    I heat with mains gas, when gas is cheap enough, so that's not a challenge I have.

    And because I have a home battery, the shorter the time the battery has to discharge before I get significant solar generation, the better.

    As above, in my case (large battery, gas heat) I don't generally need sunshine to get through the day.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.