We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Plug in solar

1…4445474950…67

Comments

  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    Which is fine - we rarely go anywhere and locally are limited to a weekly shopping trip - so if we managed to get 10-15 hours good charging per week - that would cover our usage - plus would build up for a monthly long distance journey !


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Somewhere from the back of my mind I recalled that EV charging systems (granny or wall mounted) needed a minimum charging current to operate. I googled this and got an answer of 6 Amps. At 240 volts thats 1.4kW.

    If this is the case, then a single 800W max rated plug in solar system is never going to trickle charge an EV.

  • Qyburn
    Qyburn Posts: 4,386 Forumite
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I see that our network company (SSEN) are offering free battery packs to disabled customers (like myself) - is this a good idea ?

    Why not? One of those would run our freezer for more than 24 hours. Or could run our water supply during the day, and freezer overnight.

  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Sure - I did the "up to" thing and also picked out the best scenario to show the ROI wasn't that great.

    But you're right to bring the real-world into it!

  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Those things are good, but note that you have to keep them charged and they can bleed power if left unused, so it's not just a case of dragging it out from the back of a wardrobe when you find you need it.

    There's no harm in having one, but you'd have to think about what you'd use it for: you have to plug things into it to use it, so it's not a full-house automated backup for a power outage.

    ie. you'd have to unplug your freezer from the wall and plug it into that, etc.

    As far as 1kWh capacity goes, that probably wouldn't cover your whole house for 4 hours anyway.

    Things like cooking, boiling a kettle, using the microwave, etc. could use up 1kWh pretty quickly.

    It'd still be handy for some things, a lamps, a fan, charging your phone or tablet, and a laptop (thought you'd have to connect to the outside via your mobile phone).

    I'm in the process of setting up a similar 1kWh unit with a couple of solar panels to give an off-grid lighting system for my detached garage.

  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 15,973 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Yes, the typical variable amp granny chargers go down to 6A. There may be 5A out there somewhere(?) Also some cars can vary the amps. We had one that for home AC charging would operate at 100%, 75% or 50%, so for a granny lead was close to 5A. And Tesla offer amps from 5 to 32 for home charging.

    But, powerstations, be they mains in only, or mains in with 800W mains out, also have AC out ports. The rating will vary, but some are over 2kW. So you could have say a 2kWh or 4kWh battery, with 1 to 2kWp of solar, and have it feeding a granny charger via an AC out socket (not mains out) with the amps dialled down a bit. I'm guessing there could be some camping use for such a set up too?

    Mart. Cardiff. 8.72 kWp PV systems (2.12 SSW 4.6 ESE & 2.0 WNW). 28kWh battery storage. Two A2A units for cleaner heating. Two BEV's for cleaner driving.

    For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • MouldyOldDough
    MouldyOldDough Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    I wouldn't even try any form of heating (home, food, water) - a kettle generally runs at 2kW - So would presumably trip the battery anyway ?


    If I was half as smart as I think I am - I'd be twice as smart as I REALLY am.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 24,768 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper

    MOD has a previous thread about EV charging: see here. It includes some modelling of what they might expect from a rooftop PV system.

    Plug-in isn't really going to help, but a rooftop system could be a solution. A home battery with whole-house backup would handle any power cuts on top.

    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Intelligent Go elec / Fuse gas / Vodafone BB / iD mobile. Kirk Hill Co-op member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 37 MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs, Best kettle!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 14,501 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper

    I think the battery does 1kWh, so 2kW for 3 mins should be OK to boil a cuppa, but it would use 10% of the stored charge.

    My Bluetti Elite 100 V2 is rated at 1.8kW output with a 3.6kW surge, so it might handle that; different models may have different abilities.

  • Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 1,899 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper

    Could anyone tell me what exactly would I need for 2 400W panels on concrete interlocking tiles roof?

    I either find complete systems that are ready but too expensive £200+, or too cheap and worried about quality.

    But with buying separate parts myself not even sure what all these parts are called, sizes, volume.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.