We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Warning about Lebara and Google phones!

andytheit
andytheit Posts: 11
Part of the Furniture First Post Combo Breaker
Forumite
Signed up for one of the deals here on MSE but can’t get 5g. Phone is 5g compatible and works fine on 5g with Vodafone sim, but won’t work with Lebara, which uses Vodafone’s network. Lebara customer service says there is no 5g in our area!. Tried to explain there is no 5g anywhere with their sim. They are looking into it, but Googling and there are other uses with issues and Google phones
«1

Comments

  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 7,267
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 July 2024 at 8:29PM
    I've never seen 5G on my Lebara SIM either, anywhere, and that is with an iPhone 15 Pro. I also have a O2 eSIM and that will pick up 5G coverage where available.
  • PHK
    PHK Posts: 2,679
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I also have never seen 5G on Lebara with an iPhone 15. I have used a Voxi SIM and that gets 5G in the places Lebara doesn’t. 
  • skycatcher
    skycatcher Posts: 391
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have a pixel 6a on lebara and have seen it with 5g.
  • milnerrr
    milnerrr Posts: 8
    First Post
    Forumite
    When you go into preferred network type in settings, does 5G come up as an option?

    I had a similar problem in the past with Talkmobile who, like Lebara, are also a Mobile Virtual Network Operator running on Vodafone's network. 5G didn't just not work, it ceased to be an option whatsoever within the phone's operating system once the Talkmobile SIM was inserted, and as soon as my old O2 SIM was put back in the 5G option returned.

  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,762
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    milnerrr said:
    When you go into preferred network type in settings, does 5G come up as an option?

    I had a similar problem in the past with Talkmobile who, like Lebara, are also a Mobile Virtual Network Operator running on Vodafone's network. 5G didn't just not work, it ceased to be an option whatsoever within the phone's operating system once the Talkmobile SIM was inserted, and as soon as my old O2 SIM was put back in the 5G option returned.


    Talkmobile definitely allow 5G these days so if that’s a relatively recent screenshot it’s a phone problem in your case.
    ====
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 19,446
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Now seeing 5g a lot of the time with Lebara and my Pixel 7. Even in some fairly remote areas this week it was getting 5G that I wasn't expecting.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • I have Google pixel 8 pro and couldn't get 5g on lebera , rang up support and they switched it on from there side if it helps anyone.
  • paulstevo
    paulstevo Posts: 110
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 15 February 2025 at 5:22PM
    I have a Lebara 15p pm sim and it shows the 5g (I also have an 8pro). didn't have to ask for the 5g to be activated ? As above it shows preferred 5g in scroll down option.
    Amazed at some of the deals Lebara have atm .. Ived swapped from Sky and the connection and speed is so much better .
  • I have a 6a and it connects to 5g when available by default on Lebara 12g plan
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,950
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 5 August at 11:09PM

    I have a pixel 9 pro, and the sim is 5g enabled, but it looks like some severe investment is needed in my area.

    They need to be ashamed (vodafone I guess as network owner) 18mbit down and 0,4mbit up, I had these sort of speeds in the 3g days a decade ago. 5G doesnt mean much if the investment isnt there for the user density.

★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.