We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

25% Tax Free Option

Options
Just wondering what peoples views are on taking the 25% Tax free element on your pension.

Either:

25% as one of lump sum or 25% of regular drawdowns.

Interested on what people think?

Comments

• leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

I think you'll find there have been numerous threads on this topic over the past few days. If you have a specific question about your own circumstance then please ask.
  • Albert0500
    Albert0500 Posts: 16 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Should I take my 25% as a lump sum of split over amounts drawn down ?

intrestrested  in your views please?
  • El_Torro
    El_Torro Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you need the money (for example to pay off a mortgage) then it might be best to take the lump sum. If you don't have a specific need for this money then it's generally not a good idea to take the lump sum. 
  • leosayer
    leosayer Posts: 418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you want to keep the money saved then it's probably best not to take it in one lump.

However if you need the lump sum for something then taking it may be the best idea. 

Without a lot more details about your financial situation and plans it's hard to say much more than that.

• Albert0500
    First Post
    Options
    leosayer said:
    If you want to keep the money saved then it's probably best not to take it in one lump.

However if you need the lump sum for something then taking it may be the best idea. 

Without a lot more details about your financial situation and plans it's hard to say much more than that.

I don't have any debt, no mortgage etc, I have a drawdown pension and small final salary pension currently in payment, i'm 57 and looking to retire, just concerned about giving up once in a lifetime option of reasonable size lump sum.

i don't really know a lot about it, but i can live with each option fairly comfortably, just want to take the best option long term.
  • kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What the best option long term is personal and specific, probably not a generic definitive best..

Tax, income and inheritance are the current swingers for me. I have changed my mind several times. Currently my thinking is take the 25% lump sum first and then up to the £12500 annual allowance from the SIPP. I used to think it better to take regular payments with 25% tax free, again to use up the allowance. I changed my mind to extract more tax free money from my SIPP before I take the state pensions when all my SIPP withdrawals will be taxed.
    However that leaves more of my estate open for inheritance tax.

• Albert0500
    First Post
    Options
    Last question, i can take 50k including other income before moving into higher rate tax.

Therefore when taking money from drawdown that has the 25% tax free element, can i therefore withdraw 62.5k in anyone tax year with 50k being treated as income for tax purposes with the 12.5k which is the 25% tax free element, will that just be ignored and not take me into the higher tax bracket?

This is assuming monies only come from this drawdown with nothing else.
  • BoxerfanUK
    BoxerfanUK Posts: 703 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last question, i can take 50k including other income before moving into higher rate tax.

Therefore when taking money from drawdown that has the 25% tax free element, can i therefore withdraw 62.5k in anyone tax year with 50k being treated as income for tax purposes with the 12.5k which is the 25% tax free element, will that just be ignored and not take me into the higher tax bracket?

Your 25% tax free element WILL NOT be taken into account as income for tax purposes.
  • Albert0500
    First Post
    Options

Your 25% tax free element WILL NOT be taken into account as income for tax purposes.
    Thanks for your reply, just checking I understand you probably, so I can effectively drawdown 62.5k and just stay under 40% tax bracket? 
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,747 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    12.5 is not 25% of 62.5
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback