Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Indemnity Policy

We are in the process of buying a house and meant to be completing tomorrow! We need an indemnity policy for the garage conversion that was done in 2008, the problem is building regulations know about the alteration because it was part of the planning permission to also extend the upstairs, however, the upstairs wasnt done. So planning permission still stands on the house so there is not a completion certificate. My solicitors insurance are saying they wont cover any indemnity because building regs are aware it was being built, please does any body know who would cover this? or any ideas what to do otherwise we have to get building control to inspect it and sign it off which could take ages i presume and we have to complete by the end of the month!! 


  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 3,059 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 July at 11:49AM
    If BC inspect there's no guarantee they'll sign it off. They might demand it be re-built or altered.
    But this is an issue for the sellers to resolve, not you.
    Having said that, who (and why) do you think is going to care and/or enforce anything after 16 years!?
    Just Complete and enjoy the property - provided of course you are happy with the conversion quality yourself.
  • PlumFish
    PlumFish Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    We aren't bothered about it, but the mortgage lender says they want an indemnity policy to cover it. I wouldn't have thought it would matter as it was so long ago either!
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,702 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    You need to revert to your solicitor with this one. I presume they are representing the lender as well?  It might be worth them calling the indemnity Insurance provider and speaking with someone, as if the last time the LA were "made aware" of the garage conversion was simply because it was mentioned in a planning application some time ago, that "may" not count as them "being aware". I can see why your solicitor would have opted for the "they are aware" option though - as to do otherwise could have left them with problems. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards