We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is this a tree?

Options
Was away for 3 weeks to look after a relative and while another relative looked after the garden with watering, I came back to find this growing out of a lawn!

Sadly, Google images search isn't helping so any idea what this could be? If it is a kind of tree, would it make sense for me to pot it?

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,212 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just taken a photo of your photo and run it through the Plant.net app, which gives it a 22% chance of being a Liquorice milk-vetch. There's no other higher percentage suggestion.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 30/6/24 £491.56, Chase Interest £37.40, Chase roundup interest £1.14, Chase CB £82.04, Roadkill £1.30, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints to 30/6/24 £70.22, Topcashback £82.04, Shopmium referral £3, Iceland bonus £2, Ipsos survey £20
    Total £840.70/£2024  41.5%

Make £2023 in 2023  Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,512 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Can't help identifying it, but I'd pot it up & wait & see, nothing lost and maybe a lot gained?
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Found this on Google 28% hit

• kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    P'rhaps a black locust, does it have spines on it? If yeah a sort of tree (also a pea) and invasive, I think they're Canadian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinia_pseudoacacia
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 11 July at 11:52AM
    Options
    I think it's a Robinia, probably Pseudoacacia. Nice tree in the right place, ultimately very large. Most people grow the yellow leaved variety for its foliage
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Looks like robinia too me too and the right place is no where near the house they get very big quickly.
  • moneysaver1978
    moneysaver1978 Posts: 394 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you all! I don't know where robinia came from as I don't see this type of tree anywhere close so a seed must have got dropped by a bird somewhere else.

I have removed and potted it as nothing to lose and the leaves look nice but definitely not going to plant it anywhere in the ground!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback