We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Is this a tree?

Was away for 3 weeks to look after a relative and while another relative looked after the garden with watering, I came back to find this growing out of a lawn!

Sadly, Google images search isn't helping so any idea what this could be? If it is a kind of tree, would it make sense for me to pot it?



Thank you! :)

Comments

  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 12,009
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've just taken a photo of your photo and run it through the Plant.net app, which gives it a 22% chance of being a Liquorice milk-vetch. There's no other higher percentage suggestion.
    Make £2026 in 2026
    Prolific £231.51, Octopoints £4.60, Tesco Clubcard challenges £38.80, Airtime £10 TCB £225.19, Everup £77.04, Roadkill £1.77,  Zopa CB £30, Misc £10.11,
    Total £629.02  31%

    Make £2025 in 2025  Total £2241.23/£2025 110.7%
    Prolific £1062.50, Octopoints £6.64, TCB £492.05, Tesco Clubcard challenges £89.90, Misc Sales £321, Airtime £70, Shopmium £53.06, Everup £106.08, Zopa CB £30, Misc survey £10

    Make £2024 in 2024 Total £1410 70%
    Make £2023 in 2023 Total: £2606.33 128.8%


  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,904
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can't help identifying it, but I'd pot it up & wait & see, nothing lost and maybe a lot gained?
    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • MikeJXE
    MikeJXE Posts: 3,996
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite

    Found this on Google 28% hit


  • kempiejon
    kempiejon Posts: 1,155
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    P'rhaps a black locust, does it have spines on it? If yeah a sort of tree (also a pea) and invasive, I think they're Canadian.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robinia_pseudoacacia
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 24,114
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    edited 11 July 2024 at 11:52AM
    I think it's a Robinia, probably Pseudoacacia. Nice tree in the right place, ultimately very large. Most people grow the yellow leaved variety for its foliage
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 6,874
    Twentieth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Looks like robinia too me too and the right place is no where near the house they get very big quickly.
  • Thank you all! I don't know where robinia came from as I don't see this type of tree anywhere close so a seed must have got dropped by a bird somewhere else.

    I have removed and potted it as nothing to lose and the leaves look nice but definitely not going to plant it anywhere in the ground!
  • Just to report back, I dug up and potted it - within 30 minutes, the leaves started to shrivel! So I have taken a clipping and put in a water.

    For now, it's a watch this space for both potted and clipped! :)
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 18,879
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Just to report back, I dug up and potted it - within 30 minutes, the leaves started to shrivel! So I have taken a clipping and put in a water.
    Wrong time of year to be moving trees. It is usually done between October and March while the tree is dormant.
    Any language construct that forces such insanity in this case should be abandoned without regrets. –
    Erik Aronesty, 2014

    Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • FreeBear said:
    Just to report back, I dug up and potted it - within 30 minutes, the leaves started to shrivel! So I have taken a clipping and put in a water.
    Wrong time of year to be moving trees. It is usually done between October and March while the tree is dormant.
    Aaah so that's why... oops! Ah well, I needed to move it as it was growing on grass but lesson learned and knowledge/experience gained.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.