We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Rodents

Options
I have Rodents that are coming under my airing cupboard door , I’ve had the council out to fill holes either side on the wall but the rats/mice are coming in from behind my big cylinder boiler , they won’t remove it to fill the holes and I’m at my wits end , in the summer I can catch up to 15 a day and I have a dog who I’m worrying about incase she becomes poorly from the germs , I now have bait boxes down but I’m fed up with mice droppings on my kitchen worktop etc (airing cupboard is in kitchen) any ideas ??? 

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I successfully evicted mice from my kitchen by using  ultrasonic deterrents.

These did not affect my dogs but did work with the mice.

You can get plug in ones or battery ones. 

I used two battery ones in a large l shaped kitchen. one beside a unio at one end one  between my fridge freezer and the kitchen units  in the other section. These were the two places where we saw/heard them.

I bought mine in a local ironmonger's shop but they are available online.

For every one you kill there will be several waiting to take its place.

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Was it the council's housing repair service you had out, or a proper pest control service? If you're catching 15 a day then there must be an ongoing nest situation nearby, and I'd expect pest controllers to identify where they're coming from, and they may do a better job of blocking holes externally even if they can't get at the internal holes. They'll also advise whether it's rats or mice. 

If there are airbricks, then these need to be covered with fine gauze, because mice can get through a hole the size of a biro. DO NOT BLOCK airbricks completely, or you'll have a damp problem. 
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What are you doing with the ones you catch? Are you using traps that kill them or humane traps and releasing, because that won’t work.

If there are so many coming in then it’s likely your neighbours have problems as well and you really need to get proper pest control in. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • JuJu1970
    JuJu1970 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I am using ultrasonic devices to . 
    I can’t afford pest control and doing the best I can to my ability . I live next to fields so that doesn’t help . 
    Bit Thankyou all for your advice. . 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure