We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Alternates to supermarkets and deliveries

Options
Yawny
Yawny Posts: 12 Forumite
First Post
edited 27 May at 11:01AM in Food shopping & groceries
Hi guys, 

This is probably a silly daft question, but how else can i get my food shopping as i am sick to death of walking around supermarkets , its so time consuming and I've had enough as I've been doing it for twenty years and all supermarket deliveries are terrible (understatement), they pick your food where everything expires the next day and sometimes things appear to be tampered with, so how are the delivery departments still in business lol 🤷?

People don't have time to get fresh food every day because they are too tired from working, so they need food to last

Any ideas would be appreciated cheers 🙂

Comments

• oldernonethewiser
    oldernonethewiser Posts: 1,847 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yawny said:
    Hi guys, 

This is probably a silly daft question, but how else can i get my food shopping as i am sick to death of walking around supermarkets , its so time consuming and I've had enough as I've been doing it for twenty years and all supermarket deliveries are terrible (understatement), they pick your food where everything expires the next day and sometimes things appear to be tampered with, so how are the delivery departments still in business lol 🤷?

People don't have time to get fresh food every day because they are too tired from working, so they need food to last

Any ideas would be appreciated cheers 🙂
    Lots of people do manage.  Is your work too tiring?

If I want fresh stuff from a supermarket I can be in and out in under ten minutes, so not time consuming for something I need.

Never had a supermarket delivery so cannot comment on the quality.

Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you don't want to go to the supermarket, and you don't want them to deliver, I'm not sure you've many options left.

Send a trusted friend shopping for you with a detailed list? Give the whole thing up entirely and buy a smallholding? Give up eating anything and just take those capsules that are meant to be everything you need in one go? 

Errmmm....*shrug* 
    Heroin was originally marketed as cough medicine.
  • MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If you do not want to buy it from shops and do not want deliveries then your only choice is going to be to grow your own, which is going to be a lot more tiring!

Do you live a long way from supermarkets? Most people will just pop in on the way home from work once a week, a full shop might take 15-20 minutes and they might needy to pick up a few additional items once a week if plans change, but that might only 5-10 minutes. 
  • Cairnpapple
    Cairnpapple Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 May at 9:35AM
    Options
    Veg box, butcher delivery, milk delivery, fish van, bakery.  Depending on what is available in your area, or there are services sending meat and fish by courier. Then you're mostly using the supermarket for shelf stable products which are usually fine.
  • YoungBlueEyes
    YoungBlueEyes Posts: 4,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Himself (who is not the sarcastic mare I am) suggests buying a big chest freezer and shopping once a month. 
    Heroin was originally marketed as cough medicine.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 May at 10:35AM
    Options
    We have some independent shops in our town- greengrocer, 3 x health food shops, cheese shop, grocer selling local chicken & eggs etc but it would take you very much longer to do the shopping with queuing, paying etc &   walk between them.

I've never used a delivery service- it wouldn't warrant the delivery charge.
     Aldi sells pretty much everything I want & I can do that shop in half an hour, especially if I pick the 'right' time.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:37 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=178 £88.25 spent!!!
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    LinLui said:
    I am disabled (and also work full-time, and I am not too tired to live) so deliveries are easiest for me. I find that what I get delivered is fresher than the supermarket because it comes from the warehouse directly and not via the supermarket where it could stay on the back or on the shelves for days.
    Where on earth do you live, and which supermarket delivery service?

All the main supermarkets near me around Bedford have 'pickers' for the online shopping deliveries (and/or click and collect service)... getting in the way of mere mortal shoppers like me.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,377 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Tesco online delivery have an option to add a note for the picker, I often add 'Longest date please', or 'if non available please sub with xyz'. They rarely let me down
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,790 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps a local care agency could help?  They seem to advertise on the radio about doing all sorts of helpful things, more than just the going in to a person's home and doing a bit of personal care and cleaning.  There would obviously be a set price per shop "visit" which would make it more expensive than a delivery but hopefully you'd get the quality you are looking for.  fyi - a carer for MiL cost £13 per visit plus £16 per hour so potentially you're looking at about £30 a shop as driving time would need to be included.

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rodders53 said:
    LinLui said:
    I am disabled (and also work full-time, and I am not too tired to live) so deliveries are easiest for me. I find that what I get delivered is fresher than the supermarket because it comes from the warehouse directly and not via the supermarket where it could stay on the back or on the shelves for days.
    Where on earth do you live, and which supermarket delivery service?

All the main supermarkets near me around Bedford have 'pickers' for the online shopping deliveries (and/or click and collect service)... getting in the way of mere mortal shoppers like me.
    I don't know where LinLui is, but I live in north London, not too far from an Ocado distribution centre, and the fresh stuff is always immaculate. I've never had a significant problem in five years until the delivery before last when the driver accidentally dropped a bag and it burst a the seal on a salmon side - but that was refunded straight away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport