need urgent help with bg please!!

Options
catsonic
catsonic Posts: 422 Forumite
Please forgive me for this being abit long, but i'd rather you had the full details.

Been with bg for a few years now and never had a problem.

Then in june of this year i got my normal bill and noticed that bg had paid in 669 pounds. As you can understand i was pretty chuffed!

I rang them up and asked them why and the very nice lady said "as far as i can see there was a few mistakes on your bills so we have paid them back" I asked for them to send me the money.

I didnt get the cheque so rang up again a month later and again asked why and i was told the same. I again asked for the money and it was sent. This would've been in july. I would go online and check but for some reason all my bills from june have a big sentence at the top telling me "this bill has been changed and updated with a later one!"

Everything was fine until 2 weeks ago when i got a bill for 869 pounds! I rang them up nearly crying down the phone cause there was no way i could pay it just before christmas!

The man said it was bg's mistake they paid it into my account by mistake and now they want it back!

After lots of talking and looking at stuff we came to an aggreement of a d/d of 80 pound per month including the monthly gas. I wasnt happy but it was a comprimise.

Now today i get a red bill demanding the full amount!!

I just cant face spending another hour on the phone explaining whats going on!

Comments

• Froglet
    Froglet Posts: 2,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't panic.I expect that the letter asking for the full amount has crossed with the agreement to pay by direct debit.Have a look at the date.It has probably been held up with the christmas post.Do you have anything in writing confirming the direct debit agreement? If so they cannot really go back on that.When are the payments due to start?

British Gas are terrible about getting things right.I would approach energy watch,try an email first to them to save money.Maybe they can help you sort it out .
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    What help are you after?

Presumably you are not disputing that you owe BG the money; but want to pay them back at the agreed rate of £80 a month??

If that is the case there is absolutely no point in phoning at all!! You will just go round and round in circles with a different operator each time; doubtless very little will have been entered on your record.

I suggest you write to them, telling them what was agreed on the phone, and that should get a written response.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Call and check that the debt was included into your Direct Debit. If not it will continue to send out reminders.
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • hpsaucey
    hpsaucey Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    try THE BRITISH GAS ENERGY TRUST [just google it] it is a site which pays off arrears etc of british gas customers/scottish gas. you can apply online and it explains it all on the site and not just for gas/electricity etc but any large debt you may have that u r struggling with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure