We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Universal Credit and Savings

Options
I am a widowed single dad renting privately with a child going to university and working part time and claiming Universal Credit.
I have recently met someone and looking at her moving in with me. She has come out of a relationship and got savings over £16,000 towards a future home.
If we are to live together is there  way that these savings can be ignored as capital as i do not have access to it ? By being on Universal Credit I get a lot of financial support for my child's university expenses 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,107 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I could be wrong, but if they move in then it will need to become a joint claim & savings will be counted.
    Life in the slow lane
  • panda_1309
    panda_1309 Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    That is my understanding but as this is separate savings which is to be kept out of the joint relationship is there anyway to do/account for this ? 
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,457 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 May at 12:40PM
    Options
    That is my understanding but as this is separate savings which is to be kept out of the joint relationship is there anyway to do/account for this ? 
    As it will be a joint claim all capital (savings) are counted for both parties, there is no way to avoid this.
    It could possibly be ignored, but need more details on how the savings came about.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 May at 1:19PM
    Options
    As above... unless there is a reason for U/C to disregard the savings then it is savings you would be considered to have access to as joint claimants (when they move in). Their savings and income would normally be considered as part of the claim. How have the savings been acquired?

Separately the issue of the savings being used to buy a property - there are other things to consider perhaps like how realistic it would be that you'll be able to buy a property in future since between you savings may not be sufficient for a mortgage deposit and getting a mortgage may be difficult unless there is good earned income. And if there is good earned income that will impact U/C etc.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure