We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Solicitor asking for DWP records

Options
pope
pope Posts: 227 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 23 May at 11:36AM in Benefits & tax credits
My solicitor has sent me a form to sign to request my DWP records. I am currently getting ESA and PIP. Do I have to sign this consent form as part of my personal injury claim? what kind of information will DWP send to the solicitor is it everything like the actual forms I completed to start my claim and assessment reports as im not sure?

Thanks

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,072 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I donlt think that this is the correct board for this query - I'll ask for it to be moved over to the Benefits board
  • HillStreetBlues
    HillStreetBlues Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    pope said:
    My solicitor has sent me a form to sign to request my DWP records. I am currently getting ESA and PIP. Do I have to sign this consent form as part of my personal injury claim? what kind of information will DWP send to the solicitor is it everything like the actual forms I completed to start my claim and assessment reports as im not sure?

Thanks
    I'm going though a PIC.
    They will want to check any pre existing history and how that might affect a claim.
    Let's Be Careful Out There
  • pope
    Options
    pope said:

Thanks
    I'm going though a PIC.
    They will want to check any pre existing history and how that might affect a claim.
    I started my ESA and PIP claim after the injuries that I am claiming compensation for. Also solicitor is asking for DWP records from the date of the injuries till date. Prior to my injurie I did not have any records with DWP?
  • HillStreetBlues
    Options
    pope said:
    pope said:

Thanks
    I'm going though a PIC.
    I started my ESA and PIP claim after the injuries that I am claiming compensation for. Also solicitor is asking for DWP records from the date of the injuries till date. Prior to my injurie I did not have any records with DWP?
    There will need to work out if said injuries are what you are getting ESA/PIP for as this affects the amount of compensation you would get.
    Have you had a CRU101
  • pope
    Options
    pope said:
    pope said:

Thanks
    I'm going though a PIC.
    There will need to work out if said injuries are what you are getting ESA/PIP for as this affects the amount of compensation you would get.
    Have you had a CRU101
    Yes I have had the DWP compensation recovery certificate as I started claiming ESA and PIP as a result of my injury so will have to pay back DWP back the money I received.

I am going to claim back loss of earnings from Sept 2022 to Dec 2023 only as I resigned from my Job Dec 2023. My ESA started in March 2023 till now. So the CRU101 deduction should only be untill Dec 2023 not after that?

In terms of solicitor requesting DWP records do I have the right to refuse? I really don't feel comfortable giving everything perhaps if I could say to the solicitor he can have the ESA PIP assessors reports only? 

• HillStreetBlues
    Options
    pope said:
    Yes I have had the DWP compensation recovery certificate as I started claiming ESA and PIP as a result of my injury so will have to pay back DWP back the money I received.

I am going to claim back loss of earnings from Sept 2022 to Dec 2023 only as I resigned from my Job Dec 2023. My ESA started in March 2023 till now. So the CRU101 deduction should only be untill Dec 2023 not after that?

In terms of solicitor requesting DWP records do I have the right to refuse? I really don't feel comfortable giving everything perhaps if I could say to the solicitor he can have the ESA PIP assessors reports only? 

You do have the right to refuse, but you do need to look at the agreement with the solicitor to what you have to supply to them.
    Have a discussion with your solicitor about why you don't want them to have full access, as it could come across as those records might not fully uphold your claim.

• HillStreetBlues
    Options
    pope said:
    Does any body know what DWP Reference *******
    It would be an internal reference number.
    The DWP could identify you with that number (I used stars in case you wanted to delete it)
  • pope
    Options
    pope said:
    The DWP could identify you with that number (I used stars in case you wanted to delete it)
    We're could of the Solicitor got that number? As the only DWP ref I have is my NI number
  • Robbie64
    Robbie64 Posts: 1,970 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pope said:
    pope said:
    We're could of the Solicitor got that number? As the only DWP ref I have is my NI number

The Compensation Recovery Unit, part of the DWP, has its own set of alpha-numerical reference numbers in the format AAA-111, assuming that matches the format of the reference you posted (I can't see your post). The reference number is on any correspondence that is sent from CRU.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Robbie64 said:
    pope said:
    pope said:

The Compensation Recovery Unit, part of the DWP, has its own set of alpha-numerical reference numbers in the format AAA-111, assuming that matches the format of the reference you posted (I can't see your post). The reference number is on any correspondence that is sent from CRU.
    Yes it did match that format.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport