We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Car insurance due in 23 days, what to do?

Options
Hi guys,

My car insurance with Admiral expires on 15 June.

Ive been on the comparison websites and I can get the same cover for £147 with Aviva. For the current year I paid Admiral £176 (after haggling them down from £210).

Im expecting a renewal email from Admiral in a couple of days with their quote.

1) Should I wait until theyve sent me a quote and then phone them to say that I can get the equivalent with Aviva for just £147?

2) If they dont reduce their quote accordingly and I decide to go with Aviva, is it straightforward to do so? (ie: is it much hassle)

Thanks

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,987 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    £147 for car insurance?!?!?!?! What are you driving?
  • dllive
    dllive Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    la531983 said:
    £147 for car insurance?!?!?!?! What are you driving?
    Skoda Fabia. I do have 27 years no claims and high excesses. TBH I thought most people paid about the same, absolutely horrified when my partner told me last week she pays £900pa on her car insurance!!
  • la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 23 May at 9:00AM
    Options
    There is no such thing as 27 years no claims tbf, max any provider will account for is 10. But even so, £147 is dirt cheap.

No, people dont defo pay the same lol. I suspect you are in the cheapest 0.1% in the country.
  • dllive
    Options
    I always thought it was the small car, low annual mileage, no claims and high excess that kept it so low. Im pretty sure I havnt erroneously filled anything in that would make it so low.  I didnt realise Im in the 0.1% !

• la531983
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dllive said:
    I always thought it was the small car, low annual mileage, no claims and high excess that kept it so low. Im pretty sure I havnt erroneously filled anything in that would make it so low.  I didnt realise Im in the 0.1% !

https://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/guide/how-much-does-car-insurance-cost/
  • dllive
    Options
    Thanks @la531983 . Reading that article, I suppose I am fortunate in where I live (Devon); have no claims, small car, low mileage etc...
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    dllive said:

Depends on how high the excess is, tends to be a U shaped curve where when you get to very high excesses premiums go back up again because of the negative selection from the type of person that agreed to a £2,000 excess etc. 

Oddly, possibly, for some insurers the cheapest option is £0 excess, again likely to reflect more on the type of person that selects this than anything. £635 is the average uk car insurance premium in Q1 this year. 
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,967 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have 3 and pay £279, £408 & £1135 pa for car insurance....£147 sounds like a steal.
  • akira181
    akira181 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 23 May at 11:22AM
    Options
    1) Doesn't matter. If you call, they can find your renewal price then and there. Might be cheaper than Aviva, unlikely though as it's insanely cheap already. I imagine they would match it.
    2) Aviva is fairly easy to go with. All they might ask for is proof of NCB, which the previous insurer should state in a letter or on the renewal quote. Aviva will accept either as proof, or at least they did for me in the past.
    £147 is insanely cheap. I have 6 years NCB and I paid 550ish last year and need to renew next month.
    Now I'm getting quotes for 900ish, and that's with an additional year NCB, never had a speeding/parking ticket in my life, my annual mileage dropping from 10k to 7k, and a £250 excess.
    Converting my EU license to a UK one would save me £50 but still, an extra £250 for doing less miles and not claiming is outrageous. Insurance is broken.
  • dllive
    Options
    Thanks guys. Youve now made me think that my premium is suspiciously cheap. (ie: Ive filled something in wrong). But I cant think what. Each year I put in the same details (I obviously do have a quick check to make sure its all correct). 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure