PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry Property Alert Service vs RX1

Options
Hello,  I am due to complete and my solicitor has included optional completion of an RX1 on the final statement for me to pay.   I will be living in the property on my own.

Can anyone explain in simple terms what the difference or advantage of an RX1 form has, vs the Property alerts service at HM land registry?

My solicitor will charge a fee of £80 to submit the RX1 and property alert service is free.

In my mind if I'm receiving the property alerts I won't need the RX1,  what am I missing? 

Also, for context, is it a requirement for a solicitor/ conveyancer to submit the RX1 or is it possible for a layperson to do it? 

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 May at 10:15PM
    Options
    It's kinda explained on the links you've posted - the RX1 prevents an application being made, the property alert just tells you after the event (though it may pick up a priority search in advance of a transaction completing).

It's not really a massive risk anyway, especially if you're resident in the property and/or have a mortgage.
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,850 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 23 May at 8:56AM
    Options
    It’s a common conundrum and very much a matter of choice in my experience based largely on how you view the ‘risks’ of being a victim of property and indeed identity fraud for example. 
    It’s not compulsory for a solicitor to submit the RX1. You can do it yourself. If you live in the property there’s a registration fee of £40. No fee if you don’t live there. 
    That may offer you some general insight into the thinking behind how we saw the issue of property fraud and ways you might choose to help protect yourself in a registration context - user1977 refers to that also. 
    So three ways - ensuring your contact address(es) are accurate and up to date. If we do need to contact you re an application then you need to ensure we have the right details. We don’t contact you every single time as conveyancers/lenders carry out their own checks etc and act, with us, as gatekeepers in a way aimed in part at ensuring property fraud isn’t happening re the transaction being registered. If a private individual submitted an application to update the register we’d contact you as per your registered details as the risk has shot up with no additional layers of check in play
    The second is our free Property Alert service - you get an email notifying you of a significant application. An early warning system if you like and the basic idea is that if you are aware of a likely application being made by A N Other or you’ve paid off your mortgage or you’ve applied to update your own register then the alert simply reassures. However if you have no awareness of who the applicant is then you can start taking action as appropriate and if it is a fraudulent application you can help prevent it from happening
    And the third is the RX1 and the form LL restriction. Designed primarily with absent owners/landlords in mind. Not solely but the basic tenet is if you are living in the property you are already reducing the fraud risk. If you are absent then post can be intercepted, identities stolen using received mail etc and so on. Historically property frauds were often committed by family/friends who had access to documents etc. Some conveyancers now apply for a form LL as part of their service - not many but some. 
    The restriction is really a belt & braces option that makes the checks harder to pass as it adds an extra level, especially for a conveyancer to complete matters for you. Not generally a problem but an extra service and in my experience it can prove tricky to deal with if you are involved in a transaction where you don’t have legal representation. 
    Having said all that though the choice is very much your own as to what you do - my advice is to talk it through with your conveyancer to understand the pros and cons from their perspective. And combine that with your own thoughts re the risks and how vulnerable or otherwise you feel re property and identity fraud. 
    So finally, it’s not a Property Alert v RX1 scenario really. They are 2 of 3 options to consider. Each have their own merits and the only must have is that we have a contact address for the actual register. The alert and restriction are both could haves and often depend on what risk appetite exists
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • TeeAy
    TeeAy Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    thank you so much for your replies and explanation, I've decided to register for the alerts for now and received one already! 
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,850 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TeeAy said:
    thank you so much for your replies and explanation, I've decided to register for the alerts for now and received one already! 
    Presumably with regards your own application 
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • TeeAy
    TeeAy Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Presumably with regards your own application 

Yes, it was my own solicitor!  :)

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income