PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Gifted deposit and residing in the property

Options
Cumblechook
Cumblechook Posts: 23 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
Problem...  

First time buyer 

My mother wants to move in with me....  I have said yes ( I always wanted to live with her in her later years)   All is well.   She suddenly says I have some money for you.  Its a good sum and she is ready to do the gifted deposit letter etc.  

I have told the solicitors that mum will be living with us.  I told the mortgage advisor the same, but was told that this will very much limit the lenders willing to allow someone gifting the deposit to live in the property.    I have told my mother this and to be honest its no problem for her (she is concerned for us), she will be happy to move in with my sister and still gift the deposit,

What happens when I tell the solicitors this?   
Is there some sort of penalty?  

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The "penalty" is not getting a mortgage for that scenario.
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Don't know sorry, but it got me thinking, can a parent pay that money towards the mortgage account directly without having to go through all this declaration process? Will they question where that money had come from during the term?
    Note:
    I'm FTB, not an expert, all my comments are from personal experience and not a professional advice.
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Jemma01 said:
    Don't know sorry, but it got me thinking, can a parent pay that money towards the mortgage account directly without having to go through all this declaration process? Will they question where that money had come from during the term?
    If the mortgage company discovered this was happening, they would potentially view it as fraudulent activity. Honestly? It’s really not worth taking the risk trying to fiddle things like this, not least as the OP has already told their solicitor - who is almost certainly acting for the lender too - about both the gifted deposit and the original plan for the Mum to move in…

OP - just tell your solicitor that your Mum’s plans have changed and that she is now relocating elsewhere. They may still feel that they need to tell the lender about the conversation though, be aware of that. If they DO - then please don’t see this as them trying to disrupt your transaction. They have a duty of care to act in the best interests of both of their clients, and this unfortunately sometimes means upsetting one to fully fulfill that duty to the other. 

Best advice here for others who may find themselves in similar situations is to always fully look into the potential pitfalls as far as you can before mentioning it to the solicitor, and be mindful about mentioning things to your solicitor that their lives may be made substantially easier by you never having disclosed in the first place! 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business