PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Land Registry being expedited

Options
We made an offer on a 2 yr old new build house and then found out a month into the process that it had yet to registered on the land registry. The estate agent had not done appropriate checks prior to putting the house on the market.

It was then put it for being expedited 2 weeks ago and this expedition has been accepted. The land registry have said there’s at least 3/4 properties that will also need to be registered for our property to be registered.
we are in a short timeline where we need to move in 8 weeks time (starting a new job for which we need to relocate and our baby being due)

have people had any experience of a similar situation? Is it completely unreasonable that this might be done in the next 4-6 weeks? Or would it be better to pursue and alternate house.
any advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 May at 7:52PM
    Options
    FYI, the estate agent doesn't check the registration, that is your solicitor's job.   It doesn't surprise me at all that the property hasn't yet been registered to the current owners.  

The LR are pretty quick once soemthing has been expedited - I've done it a couple of times and it's been done within a few days as long as they have everything they need from your solicitor. 

The Land Registry Rep on here is super helpful.   They'll be along at some point, I imagine but there is a Land Registry thread somewhere that is theirs, or at least there used to be! 
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,543 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also bear in mind there is no legal need for all of the previous applications to have been completed. It's just a common demand among lazy risk-averse conveyancers.
  • TBG01
    TBG01 Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    user1977 said:
    Also bear in mind there is no legal need for all of the previous applications to have been completed. It's just a common demand among lazy risk-averse conveyancers.

But the Solicitor isn't demanding it? And I've never known for a Solicitor ask for the rest of the plots to also be registered at the same time.

There's likely tens of applications pending against the developers freehold title. Land Registry work in the order the applications are lodged. So expediting this property's application means looking at the other applications to make sure everything is in order. 

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    There can be reasons why applications have to be done in a particular order - and that can cause significant issues if disregarded as you have recently found at work. In this case the LR will likely expedite all the other relevant applications and work through them in order. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Land_Registry
    Land_Registry Posts: 5,850 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DM me the title number and postal address/plot number and I can take a look.
    We have a backlog of this type of work and wait times can be lengthy hence the expedite process designed for scenarios like your own 
    Expedition is though no magic wand - it really only gets you to the actual processing start line. How long the race is in this type of case relies on two things as others have referenced. 
    The first is what else is pending, has priority, against the developer’s title? Other plot sales are unlikely to affect but there may be other applications that do and which must be done first before your plot can be registered
    The second is has your application been submitted correctly and is everything needed present and of good quality. 65-70% of this type of application have flaws that need to be remedied so if that’s the case the race can turn from a sprint into a middle distance or longer race. 
    NB - priority in this context is not about need such as new job, baby and my needs are greater than the others. It’s about the order in which matters have been dealt with by the developer and applications submitted. If they are waiting to be registered too and they have priority then they can slow down your race 
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Land Registry. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure