We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

ISA/ Savings drip feed/ plan help?

Options
Hi all,

I have the majority of my savings in a Chase account earning 4.1% and the rest in an ISA earning 5.1%.
I haven't used any of my ISA allowance for 2024/25.

I was wondering how you suggest movement of funds to avoid hitting the PSA? I can't max out the ISA straight away as use funds from the Chase savings account for my self employment so always need circa 10k readily available.

Would you fill the ISA to the amount that means you wouldn't go over the PSA from savings and anything extra is bonus?

TIA

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It'll generally be best to focus on maximising net return, rather than to try to avoid paying tax, but beyond your requirement to have easy access to £10K, you don't clarify how much you're talking about?  Is the existing ISA easy access and/or flexible?
  • fcpanda
    fcpanda Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    It'll generally be best to focus on maximising net return, rather than to try to avoid paying tax, but beyond your requirement to have easy access to £10K, you don't clarify how much you're talking about?  Is the existing ISA easy access and/or flexible?
    It is easy access and allows 4 penalty free withdrawals without the rate dropping (Moneybox).

Currently £35k in savings and 21k in ISA

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    fcpanda said:
    eskbanker said:
    It is easy access and allows 4 penalty free withdrawals without the rate dropping (Moneybox).

Currently £35k in savings and 21k in ISA
    Why not pay £20K into one of the best-paying easy-access cash ISAs then?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-cash-isa/#topeasy
  • Bigwheels1111
    Bigwheels1111 Posts: 2,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Go with Chip, 5.1% easy access isa.
    Near instant deposits and withdraws.
    Stick your self employment 10k in there.
    Plus 10k from savings.
    The best thing is you can top it up after withdrawals as long as you don’t go over 20k.
    Interest over the 20k is ok.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport