PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Selling a Retirement Flat

Options
Hi, just looking for some advice / suggestions

My Mum passed away in 2022. We listed her flat in late 2022 - it was originally purchased for £330,000.00 - as it's a retirement flat in a really nice complex, it was more for her safety and security than an investment, so no problem at all with the value dropping.

It's still on with 2 agents, for £290,000.00-£300,000.00

We aren't getting any interest - whilst I appreciate retirement properties are notoriously hard to move on, the monthly council tax is now >£500,00 and service charges >£6,000.00pa which is ridiculous and not sustainable. 

Wondering if anyone else has any suggestions?

Thank you, 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,772 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Is there any possibility the local council might take it for social housing for someone elderly?  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 986 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Offer to pay first year's service charge if you get full asking price? 
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    exe76 said:

My Mum passed away in 2022. We listed her flat in late 2022 - it was originally purchased for £330,000.00 - as it's a retirement flat in a really nice complex, it was more for her safety and security than an investment, so no problem at all with the value dropping.

We aren't getting any interest - whilst I appreciate retirement properties are notoriously hard to move on, the monthly council tax is now >£500,00 and service charges >£6,000.00pa which is ridiculous and not sustainable. 

Thank you, 
    A couple of months ago there was a post from a guy trying to sell his deceased mothers retirement flat.   He even tried to give it away without success.  These flats have a very limited market, not many elderly have a spare £6K for service charges and he was required to keep paying them despite no one living there.

If it was me I would cut my losses and the price of the flat drastically, put it up for £200k.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ognum said:
    exe76 said:

Thank you, 
    A couple of months ago there was a post from a guy trying to sell his deceased mothers retirement flat.   He even tried to give it away without success.  These flats have a very limited market, not many elderly have a spare £6K for service charges and he was required to keep paying them despite no one living there.

If it was me I would cut my losses and the price of the flat drastically, put it up for £200k.
    Obviously, nobody here can advise the OP on the correct price. But, I agree that it makes sense to cut the price heavily enough to tempt a buyer fairly quickly. If it's been on the market for over a year at £290k+, then you know that that price is too high, probably far too high. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,857 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    ognum said:
    exe76 said:

Thank you, 

Obviously, nobody here can advise the OP on the correct price. But, I agree that it makes sense to cut the price heavily enough to tempt a buyer fairly quickly. If it's been on the market for over a year at £290k+, then you know that that price is too high, probably far too high. 
    I totally agree, I believe though that the selling on of these retirement properties is difficult with a limited market.  There is a block a couple of miles from my home, it was built about 5 years ago.  They have still not sold all the flats, at present 70% sold.  Retail the prices are considerably down from purchase.

We live in an affluent area where seniors could/should be able to afford the service charges but they won't pay.  
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ognum said:
    GDB2222 said:
    ognum said:
    exe76 said:

Thank you, 

I totally agree, I believe though that the selling on of these retirement properties is difficult with a limited market.  There is a block a couple of miles from my home, it was built about 5 years ago.  They have still not sold all the flats, at present 70% sold.  Retail the prices are considerably down from purchase.

We live in an affluent area where seniors could/should be able to afford the service charges but they won't pay.  
    My daughter's parents in law moved into a retirement flat, and it was very good for them. They moved from a house, and the flat was quite small in comparison. On the other hand, there were extensive communal areas downstairs, and a restaurant where they could have lunch. They made friends with people in the block, and they avoided the social isolation that often comes with increasing physical infirmity. 

That’s the plus side. The minus side is that a lot of the companies running these flats are rather grasping. For example, they often take a percentage of the sale price when a flat is sold on. And, of course, the service charges are high. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,628 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What are similar flats which don't have retirement restriction selling for?  It needs to be priced with that in mind.  

I can pick up a modern 2 bed retirement flat in a local town for £100-150k, a similar open market flat is £200k+.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure