We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Kitchen mixer tap broken

Options
I have an ancient mixer tap (15-20 years old) with a spray attachment on it.

The cold water part has just stopped working. The handle usually moves smoothly when turned; it is now clicking round without producing any water. The hot tap is working fine and I haven't had to switch the stop c*ck off.

I will get someone out to look at it (I have neither the tools nor the inclination to try this, particularly with a guest staying!) but I'm just wondering:
  1. Any ideas what might have gone wrong?
  2. If it's not going to be fixable, what sort of things do I need to bear in mind when trying to identify a suitable replacement tap?
Thanks for any thoughts.

Comments

• ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 May at 5:30PM
    Options
    Any idea of the make?
    It's clearly a 'ceramic cartridge' type tap, and it's almost certain that the cold ceramic cartridge has failed big time.
    They are typically around £20 a pair to buy, and this is a 'competent DIY job' for those inclined, and who have the tools.
    The end of that cold handle - does it have a central cap? If so, if you prise that off, there should be a screw below. Undo that, and the whole handle should pull off. Under the handle should be the top part of the cartridge, and this will have a hex nut shape. Undo that, and you've done half the job. As well as flood your kitchen, as you didn't turn your s/c off.
    If you know the make of tap, good chance you can buy the replacement cartridge in advance, so replacing it is a two-minute job. If you don't know the make, then you'll need to measure the removed cartridge, and find a replacement.
    Tbh, it's not much more work to replace the whole tap. Does that appeal?
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks @ThisIsWeird

Have scrutinised the tap but if there was a make on it, it's long since worn off.  

As I need a TRV replacing on a radiator, and would like those valves to be added to the water feeds to the bathroom taps too, I think it's a job for someone with the experience and tools.

I had thought about replacing the tap - any key tips or considerations to bear in mind?
  • ThisIsWeird
    ThisIsWeird Posts: 5,228 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is yours a combi system, or with an invented hot cylinder ('Megaflo')? If so, the tap supply will be at mains pressure, so any tap will do.
    Considerations? Usually a 'known' brand for quality makes sense, tho' if you can check out the actual tap in person first, then any will do as long as it 'feels' solid. I'd suggest the main thing is the sturdiness of the spout - trying rocking it, so see how well secured it is inside the tap body. Actual tap cartridges are pretty universal, so little to choose there - they'll all fail in a few years, but are easy to replace!
    Then, 'style'. Do you need or want a spray attachment again? If not, leave it out, as it's just another thing to go wrong, and adds cost.
    Spout height is important - make sure you can easily get a kettle under there. 
    Handle type - usually longer levers than your original is easier to use. Do you like separate H&C, or would a single blending lever suit you? (I prefer separate).
    And, I guess, finish - chrome again, or 'satin'?

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yorkie1 said: I had thought about replacing the tap - any key tips or considerations to bear in mind?
    Fit a pair of isolation valves under the worktop/sink. This will allow you (or a plumber) to work on the tap in the future without having to turn stopcocks off or drain pipes.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks @ThisIsWeird and @FreeBear

Yes, it's a combi system. Will have a look at costs of a new tap - those hints and tips are really helpful hints, thanks. 
    "Isolation valves" - I knew they had a proper name!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure