We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Barclaycard - Minimum payment reduction.

Options
On applying for a new balance transfer B/card the minimum monthly repayment is currently quoted at 3.75%. I know there is a planned reduction to 1% due to take effect from 22nd July and that existing cardholders received emails in April(?) notifying them of the reduction.

I phoned their C/Services this morning to confirm the reduction would be 'across the board' but she would not confirm it and said that their internal website said it would apply to 'some customers' and it wasn't clear to her whether that included NEW customers. 

Has anybody got any better information? Preferably someone who has very recently taken out a B/Card and also received the email?

Thanks as always for any replies.

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Barclaycard allow you to set your own payment amount for the DD if that helps, paying minimum even if you are on 0% is a gamble though. Sorry I can't help about the minimum payment
  • th081
    th081 Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had the email as a existing BC holder. I would expect it to apply across the board and to new customers. The 'some' is probably a catch all for those on plans etc. be aware it is a double edge sword to catch you out and not benefit you. In reality a minimum 10% per month payment would be better for consumers in the long run 
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    th081 said:
    be aware it is a double edge sword to catch you out and not benefit you. In reality a minimum 10% per month payment would be better for consumers in the long run 
    To play devil's advocate, it depends on what interest rate you're being charged.
    For a standard interest-charging card then undoubtedly a higher minimum payment benefits the consumer in the long run - they'll pay less interest overall and be in debt for a shorter period of time.
    But if you're on a 0% deal and you have savings put aside to repay in full when the promotional deal ends, then a smaller minimum payment is advantageous - you can earn interest on more of your money until the time comes that you need to repay the card.

• th081
    th081 Posts: 132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    th081 said:
    be aware it is a double edge sword to catch you out and not benefit you. In reality a minimum 10% per month payment would be better for consumers in the long run 
    To play devil's advocate, it depends on what interest rate you're being charged.
    For a standard interest-charging card then undoubtedly a higher minimum payment benefits the consumer in the long run - they'll pay less interest overall and be in debt for a shorter period of time.
    But if you're on a 0% deal and you have savings put aside to repay in full when the promotional deal ends, then a smaller minimum payment is advantageous - you can earn interest on more of your money until the time comes that you need to repay the card.

Those who are on 0% and have savings put aside etc are a tiny tiny minority. I did read somewhere UK consumers pay several hundred million in interest a DAY. It would be interesting to see if the 40% overdraft rates have meant less collective usage.
  • steveksullivan
    steveksullivan Posts: 554 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    @th081 I consider myself very lucky but I do fall into that category - hence my original post as I want to minimise my monthly outgoings during the 0% period.

Last call .... anybody taken out the card more recently and had the 'reduction' email?

• Royoftherovers2024
    Options
    It applies to ALL customers from 22nd July 2024, that is The highest of:

- 1% of your balance

OR

- 1% of your balance plus interest

OR

- £5
  • pfpf
    pfpf Posts: 4,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is the 1% actually going to apply to all BC cards? i have 5 cards, 3 have had the 1% email the other 2 not.
  • steveksullivan
    steveksullivan Posts: 554 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 May at 10:22AM
    Options
    Still trying to find a definitive answer from someone who has taken out a card recently AND had the email as Barclaycard themselves do not know .....
  • BikingBud
    BikingBud Posts: 1,808 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Still trying to find a definitive answer from someone who has taken out a card recently AND had the email as Barclaycard themselves do not know .....
    Have you had a statement yet?

But if you are going to balance transfer and have selected the card you either have an amount saved to offset against your debt with a small payment or a smaller payment. So you will have minimised your payments, reduced to the smallest possible a mount, whichever way the min payment rate will go. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure