IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Parking ticket CCJ job screening

Options

Hi everyone,

I’m in a bit of a dilemma and could really use some advice.

I recently received a job offer from a new company, but during their background screening, they found an adverse finding: an unsettled County Court Judgment (CCJ) on my record. This is a £207 fine from Parking eye that's 3 years old

After discussing the situation with my hiring manager, he believes that the best way forward would be for me pay this in order to help pass screening although he isn't directly involved in the process.

I know it's generally advised here to not pay these if it's been over a month from being issued as they stay on your record. In this instance is it worthwhile to pay it or is there another route forward.

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    All advice about CCJs and their removal is in the NEWBIE sticky that you read before posting!  What did it advise you?  You should be warned that paying a CCJ after the first month leaves it marked as "satisfied" and trashes your credit record for six years; have you tried to get credit or take out a new mobile phone contract or similar and come across problems?
  • Gr1pr
    Gr1pr Posts: 895 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As above, paying it won't remove it, so may not fix the problem 

Probably a better idea to ask Parking Eye for a with consent set aside 

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 133,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 23 May at 7:05PM
    Options
    Yep, email ParkingEye and tell them their Claim form was sent to an old address (true?) and as such, you will be making an application to set the CCJ aside.  However it will be quicker and will minimise costs if they would provide a consent order and please could they email their suggested Order over by the 31st May:

enforcement@parkingeye.co.uk

You'll need the PCN number ideally, if not the Claim number and your car VRM so they can match it up. ParkingEye will probably consent.

This is worth you doing as it completely wipes the CCJ. 

Just paying it doesn't do that.  Nonono!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Nexa
    Nexa Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have already paid and sent proof of payment which the job screening process has accepted so no issues there.

It would be optimal to get the CCJ set aside so I have sent the following to parkingeye: 

Dear team

I am writing to inform you that the Claim Form issued by ParkingEye was sent to an outdated address. Consequently, I will be submitting an application to set aside the County Court Judgment (CCJ). However, in the interest of expediency and to minimize costs for all parties involved, I propose that ParkingEye consents to setting aside the CCJ.

To this end, I request that ParkingEye provides a draft Consent Order. Please forward the suggested Consent Order to me via email by 31st May.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 June at 8:48PM
    Options
    I have already paid and sent proof of payment which the job screening process has accepted so no issues there.

Have you paid the CCJ?

Others will be able to back this up, but as far as that goes, its going to be nigh on impossible to get this set aside and removed if you have paid.

It may have seemed like a quick fix, but if you can not get it set aside, then it will sit there on your credit score for 6 years - and that's a long time.

There was some advice given further up thread, and while it may seem convoluted and not easy it's there to help as there are many pitfalls and traps that the unsuspecting can fall into, all part of how the PPC industry operates with the intention to make as much money as possible by tripping up the unsuspecting, a vast majority wont have to deal with courts, or CCJs and that can be taken advantage of.

The big question is:

Have you paid off the CCJ for a quick fix?

From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • artyboy
    artyboy Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 June at 8:51PM
    Options
    Yeah, this is a tough one though... if the OP really needed the job, and it was a good well paying one, it might... just... have been worth taking the hit. It sounds like proof that the debt was paid off was all that was needed, and a job offer isn't going to wait around for the set aside process to play out...

Hopefully the OP won't have any major need for credit for a few years to come.
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Immediate thoughts: get the money back from the landowner that took on the unregulated parking company
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure