We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Some one usinging my identity to book hotel rooms advice needed?

Options

I don't know if I'm posting this in right place, appologies if it's not, I didn't know where to post this.

Last Thursday I received a email from Premier Inn with a hotel booking confirmation. I didn't notice email until today as email accidentally  went in to spam folder.

Booking was for 17th to 18th May.

Problem is I never made a hotel booking for last weekend.

I have stayed at Premier Inns many times before, and stay quiet often. But I always travel with my children.

This booking was in My name and was for a quad room for just one adult, it was a flex booking with pay on arrival selected.

I always pay in advance at time of booking when book a room. I never pay on arrival.

I compared email with other booking confirmation emails I received from past bookings and emails seems genuine.

I definitely did not make this booking.

I've tried phoning Premier Inn all day today but have not been able to get through.

I have also DM them on twitter/X but no reply so far. I did try to see if I could find a email address but they don't seem to have a email address.

They haven't taken any payments from any of my bank cards so far, I've checked my bank accounts.

I also have no idea if anyone checked in to room.

I'm really worried that someone is using my identity to book hotel rooms.

The even weirder thing is that the hotel that this room was booked at is a hotel I stayed at with my children 1 month ago.

I received no cancellation email so they never cancelled room. Could they have checked in with bank card in a different name.

I'm worried that I'm going to end up with a bill to pay especially if they booked room and didn't turn up.

Im also worried about someone else using my identity especially as I've had problems with a stalker in past, it's making me feel very un easy.

I don't know what to do, should I be worried, im hoping it's maybe a system glitch but surely they would have noticed by now and cancelled and apologised.

Any advice on what I should do or how to contact Premier Inn would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you use a Premier Inn  account to book ?  If so does it show that booking ?   I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it happens again or there is some fallout over the booking.  Could be a myriad of reasons why you received that e-mail, you said it looks genuine but was it ?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,108 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Could it be someone has just put the wrong email address?  

I get all sorts of junk from time to time from a daft woman in the US who puts my email address on her bookings. I get reminders about her child's medical appointments, was sent info about her mortgage offer, then her mortgage problems. Nothing I can do about it except delete the emails as most of them come from 'no reply' addresses.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• drjohn67
    drjohn67 Posts: 93 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had similar person same name. 
    He made a mistake supposedly using his birth year in his iCloud email address.
    it diverted to me. 

Several hotel bookings. His postal address was different.
    Even credit score - Experian were no help at all - so in the end I had to cancel the Experian account

it all stopped at that point presumably when he spotted his error

• Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless someone has gotten hold of your card details, or your log-in details for some kind of account with saved card details, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about financially. 
  • Danien
    Danien Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The other thing to consider is some of these emails are scams sent to get you to contact them on the scam contact details on the email where in order to cancel they ask you to verify your full card number and personal details. I get loads of these in my spam folder.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure