We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

0% transfer options

Options
puma85
puma85 Posts: 5 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
I currently have about 11,000 spread across two credit cards and Next. And would like to transfer to a 0% balance transfer card. 

The eligibility checker on here looks promising, but it doesnt tell me what the limit will be?
Also, has anyone done a balance transfer with a nextpay account? - is that possible?

Comments

• puma85
    puma85 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A quick search on here suggests Next is considered an account, not a card. So you can't balance transfer.

But what I can do is pay the balance using my current card, then balance transfer that to the new 0% account. 

My only remaining question is how to know the limit of the cards above? 
    Which one should I go with for the best chance of them offering me the 11,000?
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May at 9:30AM
    Options
    You don't generally know what the limits are likely to be in advance.
    I find, as a general rule, card providers seem to give a limit similar to what you already have 
    Once you've been with a provider for a while, they may gradually increase your limit 
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,772 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have an income that can support the £11k of debt you aready have plus whatever extra credit you have available that you aren't using (on the cards or overdraft etc) plus whatever credit the new card might give you?  That's what the banks will look at when considering how much credit to allow you.  They will also look at your credit history, whether you've missed or were late for any payments whether you have other lines of credit like HP for a car or monthly payments for your car insurance.  And then they will decide first if they will give you a card at all and then how much to give on that card.  £2 or £3K seems fairly normal so won't solve your problem completely.  You might enhance the situation a bit if you get your current cards to decrease the amount of credit they allow you so that the new card might offer a better limit.  

Do check what ever card you current has is not in the same banking group as the new card as they will not allow any transfers between those.  I think Lloyds is linked to Band of Scotland and Halifax whereas HSBC is linked to first direct.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 571 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 May at 11:14PM
    Options
    If you go onto Halifaxc/Lloyds websites, they will do a soft search and will show your your estimated credit limit if you proceeded to a fully application.

MBNA, Nationwide and some others, do the same.

As for your Next account, you wont be able to do a balance transfer but you could get a money transfer and then pay it off, that way.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 9,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    100% pre-approved means nothing by the way, whatever site you are on is not the lender so they cannot in any way guarantee you will get the card
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure