We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Request for a debt we know nothing about

Options
PJ9506
PJ9506 Posts: 15 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
My elderly parents have been receiving emails, and today a letter, regarding a debt they know nothing about with Creation Finance.  The emails have come from 2 different debt collection agencies, the second of which has now managed to track him to his present address and have sent a postal letter.  The address they had on file is one he lived at 3 years ago.  They also don't have his correct DOB.

I have tried to contact each company to explain that they dont have any credit agreements with anyone and because his details aren't correct we can't seem to speak to anyone. 

I finally got through to someone on the difficulty paying line at Creation today.  Yet again, the security check wasn't passed so the conversation could go no further.  I explained that I have Power of Attorney as my father has Alzheimers so I knew that he hasn't taken out any finance for a number of years and that his details on their file were incorrect and maybe someone who moved in after has used his name but they wouldn't talk to me any further.  So I sent a copy of the PoA and a strongly worded email stating the above.    

I reported this to the police and Action Fraud in December when the first emails arrived but they closed the case in January NFA.  I'm now concerned that Baliffs will knock upon their door for a debt that isn't theirs.  My mum is very worried and stressed about it and my dad is oblivious due to his dementia and would probably let them in! 

Is there anything else I can do to protect them and get this sorted out asap?

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 2,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Can you post redacted copies of the letters?

You should also make sure that the companies concerned know that there are vulnerable people at the property.
  • PJ9506
    PJ9506 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sure, this is the letter they received today, sent to his current address but the supply address was his old one. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Send 'prove it' letters to put the onus on them to prove that the debt is valid:

https://debtcamel.co.uk/prove-it/

Also probably worth checking his credit files, to see what's on there, in order to identify any further actions that may be needed:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/check-free-credit-report/
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,772 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Creation finance do loans for various retail companies.  We signed up with them for a 0% loan to pay for a full kitchen refit.  I like the 0% but little else about the company.  For instance they don't give you any record of what has been charged to your account or what has been paid.  

Anyways it's possible that dad might have bought something and signed up with them without really know what it was about.  And as there is no account to show how much is left to pay it would be easy to think whatever had been purchased had been paid for in full when it's not the case.  

Quite agree that a prove it letter is a great way to start.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 15,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does anything in the correspondence advise what type of item the debt relates to?

It is just, in my mind, the phrase "supply address" indicates to me this could be some kind of utility service.  Is it possible that any of the utility services were not correctly closed down and final meter readings etc when he moved from the old address three years back?  "Utility" might even mean a non-essential service that was never cancelled - satellite TV or similar.

What does the term "grey market" mean against the product heading?
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    "Grey market" sounds dodgy...

@PJ9506 -  you could try posting on Consumer Action Group.  They advise a lot on debt collectors and how to get rid of them.

Try posting on one of the boards here:  Debt subforums: - Consumer Action Group   ("Debt collection agencies" seems best bet)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure