We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Leasehold - Building insurance

Options
My flat requires extensive repairs following water ingress from an adjacent commercial unit in the same block. My flat will be inhabitable for around six months owing to the kitchen and bathrooms having to be removed. 
The buildings insurance does not mention alternative accommodation and my contents cover is so low it won’t cover for even a month.
Speaking to the loss adjuster he advised the buildings insurance policy is providing cover to the commercial unit more than the residential flats. 
Where do I stand with this? 

Comments

• DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Always best to check your insurance before the claim happens!!

What is the cause of the ingress? In most of these cases its just life and each party claims off their own insurance and any short fall in insurance is that party's problem unfortunately. If you can show they were negligent and that caused the problem rather than it just being the gradual action of time, then you may be able to make a claim against the tenants of the commercial unit. 
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 757 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You cannot live in your flat due to a buildings insurance insured even ie. escape of water meant that your kitchen & bathroom had to be removed.  As you live in a leasehold block of flats, your management company would be responsible (under the lease agreement) to arrange the buildings insurance and you should speak to your management company about this claim.

I was unfortunate enough to experience a similar issue in my flat nearly 20 years ago.  Fortunately I only needed alternative accommodation for one week but the buildings insurance paid for me to stay in a hotel.
  • ElieseKM
    ElieseKM Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DullGreyGuy said:
    Always best to check your insurance before the claim happens!!

What is the cause of the ingress? In most of these cases its just life and each party claims off their own insurance and any short fall in insurance is that party's problem unfortunately. If you can show they were negligent and that caused the problem rather than it just being the gradual action of time, then you may be able to make a claim against the tenants of the commercial unit. 

I understood this to be the freeholders responsibility to sort.

Unfortunately the tenants of the commercial unit are in liquidation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure