🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Does paying monthly, into a previous year’s ISA, count as this year’s allowance

Options
I have £20K & was going to invest in a new ISA this year (2024/25).  I opened up a previous ISA a few years ago, into which I still pay £200 a month.  Can I still keep paying £200 into that older ISA each month or does that count as being over my £20K yearly limit? i.e. am I only allowed to pay £17,600 into a new ISA & £2,400 (£200/monthly) into my older ISA bringing my total deposits into 2 ISAs, opened separate years, to £20k?

Comments

• Martico
    Martico Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Any new money that you add this year comes under this year's allowance, no matter when you open(ed) the product. 
  • refluxer
    refluxer Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 May at 1:51PM
    Options
    It doesn't matter when the ISA was opened - you can only pay £20k of new subscriptions in total into an ISA (or ISAs) each tax year.

So yes - if you intend to pay £200/month into the existing ISA for the rest of this tax year, then you'll have a further £17,600 left from your 2024-25 allowance.

If you opened the existing ISA a few years ago, have you checked the rate is still competitive ?
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The 20k limit is a limit on how much you can contribute each year.  It is not related to when your accounts were first opened.
  • acannyscot
    acannyscot Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for making it clear, Folks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts