We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Missing NHS pension.from the year 2000.

Options
I was a nurse at a london hospital. I worked there for two years and I joined the NHS superannuation scheme in 1999 ish.  Fast forward to today and I am trying to locate my NHS pension. 
I contacted the NHS pension tracking system in Newcastle and they said, they have NO RECORD of me being in the scheme, even though I showed them my previous payslip, which shows my superannuation contributions, and the superannuation number and the total deductions. They also said that my pay slip is "NOT EVIDENCE", of  being in the scheme or paying into the scheme and that it was up to the NHS trust I worked for. So I can't imagine what constitutes "evidence of paying into the scheme"if not a payslip. They also pointed out, if i remember correctly,that this was before everything was "computerized".  They also said it was the hospitals responsibilty to ensure everything was payed, and records are correct. So I have written to the NHS hospital, pay departemt twice, and I have not received any replies. I have also sent another letter to the complaints department in the hospital pointing out my problem regarding my pension and I enclosed a photocopy of the pension deductions, along with my superannuation number. Again after nearly 2 months i have still not recieved any replies. Has anyone got any advice on what I should do next? 

Comments

• Moonwolf
    Moonwolf Posts: 224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 May at 3:48PM
    Options
    Did you work for more than exactly two years or less? 

If it was less than two years you should have received a refund of your contributions or transferred into another scheme.  You wouldn't have rights in a pension, you can't defer with less than two years.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 16 May at 3:50PM
    Options
    How long exactly were you a member of the scheme ? You needed to be a member for a full 2 years to become a deferred member, any less and your contributions would have been refunded if you did not move them out.
  • JoeCrystal
    JoeCrystal Posts: 3,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Exactly how long have you worked with the NHS? If it is less than two years, you could easily get your refund of the contributions back once you leave the NHS
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 16 May at 4:30PM
    Options
    If less than exactly 2 calendar years, even by just one day, then you would/should have been given the choice of either a refund of your own contributions or a transfer to your new employers pension scheme.  Does that ring any bells?

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was a nurse at a london hospital. I worked there for two years and I joined the NHS superannuation scheme in 1999 ish.  Fast forward to today and I am trying to locate my NHS pension. 
    I contacted the NHS pension tracking system in Newcastle and they said, they have NO RECORD of me being in the scheme, even though I showed them my previous payslip, which shows my superannuation contributions, and the superannuation number and the total deductions. They also said that my pay slip is "NOT EVIDENCE", of  being in the scheme or paying into the scheme and that it was up to the NHS trust I worked for. So I can't imagine what constitutes "evidence of paying into the scheme"if not a payslip. They also pointed out, if i remember correctly,that this was before everything was "computerized".  They also said it was the hospitals responsibilty to ensure everything was payed, and records are correct. So I have written to the NHS hospital, pay departemt twice, and I have not received any replies. I have also sent another letter to the complaints department in the hospital pointing out my problem regarding my pension and I enclosed a photocopy of the pension deductions, along with my superannuation number. Again after nearly 2 months i have still not recieved any replies. Has anyone got any advice on what I should do next? 

Yes. Try this (ask for the years 1997 to 2002 to make absolutely sure your period of service with the NHS is covered): https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/DPU_SAR_NI?_ga=2.230026460.1544670040.1621021753-1315656139.1609178084

If you have any benefits in the NHS scheme, it will show up. The NHS scheme was contracted out of SERPS/the state second pension, and if you look towards the back of the pile of paperwork you will receive in due course, you will see something which either:

• confirms the 'method of preservation: Reference Scheme Test' (in which case you definitely have a pension with the NHS scheme)

OR

• words to the effect of 'CEP [Contribuitons Equivalent Premium] paid' (in which case you were given a refund of your own contributions, and the scheme paid a premium to reinstate you into the State Additional Pension for your period of membership.

Whole thread (a long read, I'm afraid!): https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6267734/is-there-a-really-detailed-online-method-to-check-nics/p1 and see my post of 3 June 2021.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Mr.Snowman
    Mr.Snowman Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice. That is a relevant point I had not considered. Although i would wonder why the NHS service or the hospital has no history of this, or in the case of the hospital hasn't even bothered to reply.
    I will check the tax system. Once again thanks again. Your advice was much more useful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure