We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Crystal ball - Should i fix or leave in Easy Access?

Options
Crystal ball time. I think given inflation has dropped rates may go down. ISA peak rates are already down and the easy access options i can see has dropped.

There arent many high easy access accounts allowing transfers in, therefore i'm just wondering if its easier to stick with my current ISA - Shawbrook and suck up the low rate or whether i should transfer up?

Or even if i should just go for a fix as Shawbrook are currently the highest 1 year fixers?

Thanks.

Comments

• gravel_2
    gravel_2 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It really depends what you want from your money. If you don't need it then locking up seems to make sense right now. Consensus seems to be rates have peaked and EA ISA rates will drop with the BOE rate.

If you need (or want) access then fixing makes no sense.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,654 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fixed term savings rates have been set based on overly optimistic views of inflation and the economy. Expectation was that there would have been a couple of rate cuts by now. So I would lean towards the best easy access rate until such time as base rate drops below fixed rates. The anticipated base rate cuts are already priced in to fixed rates.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    There arent many high easy access accounts allowing transfers in, 

Of the Top 5 easy access ISA's in this list, only one does not allow transfers in. 

Best Easy Access Cash ISA Rates | Up To 5.17% (moneyfactscompare.co.uk)
  • jungleboy123
    jungleboy123 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options

Of the Top 5 easy access ISA's in this list, only one does not allow transfers in. 

No transfers in... that really sucks.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

???

The bolded wording was actually an unattributed quote of yours, so the post was actually highlighting that (from a small sample of leading accounts) most do allow transfers in, so no point in focusing on those that don't!
  • jungleboy123
    jungleboy123 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    eskbanker said:

???

The bolded wording was actually an unattributed quote of yours, so the post was actually highlighting that (from a small sample of leading accounts) most do allow transfers in, so no point in focusing on those that don't!
    I still haven't figured out how to quote properly on MSE Forums, my bad :(
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:

???

I still haven't figured out how to quote properly on MSE Forums, my bad :(
    To be fair, it was the post you were replying to that hadn't used quoting properly, so it wasn't made clear that it was playing back your wording before responding to it.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,815 Forumite
    Options
    Crystal ball time. I think given inflation has dropped rates may go down. ISA peak rates are already down and the easy access options i can see has dropped.

There arent many high easy access accounts allowing transfers in, therefore i'm just wondering if its easier to stick with my current ISA - Shawbrook and suck up the low rate or whether i should transfer up?

Or even if i should just go for a fix as Shawbrook are currently the highest 1 year fixers?

Thanks.

Hopefully this is less confusing than my previous attempt  :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure