We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it worth buying state pension years for my wife?

Options
Been listening to Martin's podcast. I am on track to have a full 35 years, but my wife has zero years and will probably only be able to earn a max of 20 years due to age, so would need at least 15 years to get the max state pension. To be safe she would need at least 10 to get the minimum pension, in case she can't earn any.

£8-16k by next April will mean taking a huge chunk out of the house deposit fund. Is it a good idea?

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    35 years is only applicable if all those years are post 2016 I believe.

Have you obtained a pension forecast for yourself?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    'The full 35 years' is unlikely to be relevant, as it only applies to those born this century, so the best starting point will be to obtain forecasts for each of you, and to take it from there:

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You should get a copy of your wife's NI record to see where she currently stands - depending on her age she may already have at least 3 years of starting credits.  Has your wife never worked and/or not qualified for NI credits of any sort?

Basically it is not possible for anyone to give you advice without each of you getting a pension forecast and copy of your NI record - once set-up on GOV UK that takes only seconds.
  • swindiff
    swindiff Posts: 894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Newshound!
    edited 16 May at 3:19PM
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to be working to earn State pension credits, child benefit for example qualifies.  And has been stated 35 years probably won't be enough for full state pension unless you are early 20's or younger.  I have just qualified for full state pension this year and that took 38 years.  Some on this forum needed well over 40
  • squirrelpie
    squirrelpie Posts: 990 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You should prioritise buying ten years NI for your wife before next April in my view. You're set to get a full state pension (modulo some details) whilst she's set to get nothing (again modulo some details). State pensions are an excellent investment. Find out what gaps she's got and post them here so people can help you understand which years to fill. Broadly, buy the oldest that it will not be possible to buy after next spring, but the details of which years matters, so please do check.
  • ThorOdinson
    ThorOdinson Posts: 70 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:
    35 years is only applicable if all those years are post 2016 I believe.

Have you obtained a pension forecast for yourself?
    The government website says I should get the full pension.
  • ThorOdinson
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pinnks said:
    You should get a copy of your wife's NI record to see where she currently stands - depending on her age she may already have at least 3 years of starting credits.  Has your wife never worked and/or not qualified for NI credits of any sort?

Basically it is not possible for anyone to give you advice without each of you getting a pension forecast and copy of your NI record - once set-up on GOV UK that takes only seconds.

She has nothing, zero years, according to the government website, and can't claim any.
  • ThorOdinson
    Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 May at 10:11AM
    Options
    You should prioritise buying ten years NI for your wife before next April in my view. You're set to get a full state pension (modulo some details) whilst she's set to get nothing (again modulo some details). State pensions are an excellent investment. Find out what gaps she's got and post them here so people can help you understand which years to fill. Broadly, buy the oldest that it will not be possible to buy after next spring, but the details of which years matters, so please do check.

She has nothing, no partial years or anything. Was not in the UK before 2019, if that matters. No other pensions.
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,118 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

She has nothing, no partial years or anything. Was not in the UK before 2019, if that matters. No other pensions.
    Just double checking...not even any state pension benefits from her previous country of residence?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

You cannot pay voluntary NI for any years prior to your arrival in the UK but years subsequent to that may be payable. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure