We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Barking dogs/Aggressive neighbours

Options
crazychaos
crazychaos Posts: 22 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 16 May at 11:29AM in Praise, vent & warnings
Hello everyone, 

I just wanted to put this out there and ask for your advice/opinion. I have lived in my home for 8 years and so far have had three different neighbours since moving in. I’m not perfect in any way shape or form and when my son lived at home he would play his music loud and I always asked the neighbours if it was annoying them and to speak to me if they had any problems, especially when I was out. I consider myself to be a good human and don’t wish to upset/distress anyone intentionally…BUT….. my new neighbours have two dogs and since moving in 8 months ago they regularly leave them for very long periods of time. The one is a puppy only 1 year old and yelps and cries until late at night. I spoke to my neighbours telling them that their dogs barked whilst they were out in case they weren’t aware and from day one was met with some aggression. Since the first time speaking to them it is now 6 months later 3 conversations and 1 polite note through their door. I just couldn’t take it anymore and reported them. Yesterday after receiving a letter of complaint they knocked on my door and threatened me and were very aggressive. I tried to de-escalate by staying calm and trying to explain that it’s disturbing me constantly and that the dogs bark from when they go out until they come back. I feel sick to my stomach and a little unnerved as I live alone and the husband stood in front of me at my door the whole time they were shouting at me, including their teenage daughter. They became very personal about me which was unnecessary. I would help anyone and try to deal with things kindly but I just couldn’t stand the barking anymore. I’m second guessing myself … what do I do now?
Any advise please ? 
Nothing to prove….Everything to achieve …

Comments

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would recommend carrying on as you have been doing - trying to be reasonable, but not standing for any antics from them.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • isplumm
    isplumm Posts: 2,205 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    call the police??
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,017 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tell thier landlord as I assume it is rented.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 2,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    isplumm said:
    call the police??
    Agree with this if you are scared. Keep a diary of each event and report every time. 
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Keep a diary, record the noise and then report them
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 17 May at 11:25PM
    Options
    ring 101 and have it logged.  Everytime they do the same report to 101.  Also keep a paper log of it all.  Get a video doorbell then you have no need to answer the door to them and keep the videos as evidence. 
    Some people are just aholes and no matter what you say and do they react.  All dogs bark and when I got new neighbours we went around with the dog and asked them to let us know if he barked alot.  Sadly they didn't extend the same curtsey the other way around.  I can no longer use my garden as any noise sets their dog off.  I know mine is an idiot and barks at the ring door bell or people knocking on the door.  But I tell him to be quiet.  Hardly ever hear them discipling the dog and rarely seen it been taken out for a walk. 

Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • crazychaos
    Options
    I reported with 101 and I already have a ring camera that captured some of it. They were apparently upset that I had one and that it makes them feel uncomfortable in their own home…. Was a whole load of who shot John…… I’ve been staying with a friend since it happened…. I can’t seem to face going home currently. 
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 2,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 18 May at 12:48PM
    Options
     Thats awful if you can not return home. If they were amicable you could show them the area the camera films, that pacified my neighbours 

maybe ask the police to tell them that to calm them down 
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I reported with 101 and I already have a ring camera that captured some of it. They were apparently upset that I had one and that it makes them feel uncomfortable in their own home…. Was a whole load of who shot John…… I’ve been staying with a friend since it happened…. I can’t seem to face going home currently. 
    What does the footage from the ring camera show?  If it shows aggressive behaviour from your neighbours you should show it to the police.

If you have a 'phone capable of recording sound and video make sure you record any interactions with them.

If you don't have a chain on your door get one fitted
  • crazychaos
    Options
    Okell said:

What does the footage from the ring camera show?  If it shows aggressive behaviour from your neighbours you should show it to the police.

If you have a 'phone capable of recording sound and video make sure you record any interactions with them.

If you don't have a chain on your door get one fitted
    The ring footage shows the husband at my door, then it cuts off when I answer 🤷🏼‍♀️ then it comes back on when the wife comes out and starts talking and yelling while the husband stands at my door. I will be more prepared in future just wasn’t expecting it nor was I expecting the one thing I have from a security point of view not recording the whole thing…. I also have a chain on my door. :) thank you 🙏 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure