We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax Free Childcare and related benefits with low income partner

Options
I am full-time employed on as a higher rate earner, and my wife has been off work for over year looking after our 1 year old daughter. Before that she was self-employed earning ~2000 GBP per year in first year, and ~4000 GBP in second year, likely would be >4000 GBP if she started work again now, but hard to estimate. 

I understand that all benefits we might be eligible to help with cost of childcare are based on both of us working (given I am a higher rate earner).

If my wife started working again, I think as it's not her first year, she'd need to prove that she expects to earn >£2,379 per month to be eligible for tax free childcare or the new free childcare hours, is that right?

I seems like a catch-22, until she gets back to work, she'll have no way of earning enough money to reach the required earning threshold for support, but she's not eligible for the support to support her going back to work.

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure