E-Bay -How to register a payment for an item being collected in person on computer rather mobile app

Options
I have now sold a lawnmower and the buyer has paid in advance through Ebay. He has not yet collected from my house. I have received an instruction from Ebay that says 'When your buyer arrives, you'll need to use the eBay app to document that the item was collected...Just open the eBay app, navigate to the order details for this transaction, and click the 'scan to confirm collection' button. Then you can either: Scan the QR code the buyer received through email or select the 'enter code' tab to manually input the 6-digit code the buyer received through email.' But  I never use the eBay app on a mobile phone, I only ever use Ebay on a computer. On the computer version of Ebay there is a tab 'mark as picked up' but nowhere to enter the 6 digit code. How does this procedure work without a mobile phone please?  All tips gratefully received. 

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do you have a mobile phone that you can download the Ebay app onto? If so this is the easiest way and you can set it for notifications of sold items too, it's really useful.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • XzavierWalnut
    XzavierWalnut Posts: 123 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have recently experienced this and did not know about the procedure until after the buyer had collected the item.
    Fortunately, the next day the Buyer (who also did not know about this procedure) messaged me with a screen shot of the QR code which also has the code number. I do have the app, but think I entered it on the website.
    So main thing is to get the code from the buyer when they collect. 
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,375 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The code is important as it protects the seller against an INR claim, without registered if the code it is possible for a scammer to raise a false claim and be refunded.

Obviously not all buyers who collect are scammers, we always give the very worst case scenario on here, but personally the protection is there and should be used. So as above, borrow a phone if necessary, or look through the options on your PC to see if there is anywhere at all a code can be added,if that fails, phone eBay for advice. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Nebbit
    Nebbit Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
     I do have the app, but think I entered it on the website.

Do you remember please where you entered it on the website? Many thanks if you do
  • XzavierWalnut
    Options
    Just checked on ebay, you can only enter the code on the app.
  • XzavierWalnut
    Options
    What it also stated was, if you do not have the app, keep the collection code in case of any dispute.
    So looks like you do not have to enter it, but it avoids any dispute. The dispute could only be about the actual collection, nothing to stop buyer claiming item faulty etc.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,375 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What it also stated was, if you do not have the app, keep the collection code in case of any dispute.
    So looks like you do not have to enter it, but it avoids any dispute. The dispute could only be about the actual collection, nothing to stop buyer claiming item faulty etc.
    It's very difficult for a buyer who collects to raise an SNAD claim as they are deemed to have inspected item.  Realistically sellers only need to protect against an INR claim.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The eBay help page suggested getting a signature if you don't use the app. I know that might not be helpful to the OP though!
    Offering local collection | eBay
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was in a similar position to the OP, and I simply took the line of least resistance, and installed the app on my phone. I have since then uninstalled it! 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I had a collection I had the ebay app but there was no way I could scan, the button was just not there.  I got the code from the buyer and simply marked it as dispatched and put the code in the notes.  As there was no problem I don't know if that would have been enough
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure