AET Changes - was this signposted?

Options
Half way through migration and today it is announced that AET has changed which moves the goalposts considerably for us.  Strange thing is in all my googling, use of online calculators etc I had not seen this big increase being mentioned but the BBC piece suggests it was logn planned.

Is it just me who missed this?

Universal credit changes: Claimants must now seek 18 hours work - BBC News
I think....

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,115 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bet the AET rules over ride the transitional protection rules :(

Does anyone have any experience of this?
    I think....
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,566 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Transitional protection is about the amount of benefit you qualify for.

The AET is about what commitments you'll have and whether you have to look for (more) work.  Not related to transitional protection.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 28,115 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I guess my argument would be that under transitional protection you should not be worse off under UC and thus you should not get sanctioned for failing to earn enough and not look for work as you would not have been sanctioned for the same thing under TC - I know, pretty thin....
    I think....
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,120 Forumite
    Options
    michaels said:
    I guess my argument would be that under transitional protection you should not be worse off under UC and thus you should not get sanctioned for failing to earn enough and not look for work as you would not have been sanctioned for the same thing under TC - I know, pretty thin....
    You are correct about that being highly unlikely to be accepted if you’re in the all work requirements group. TC and UC are two completely different benefits. 
  • Yamor
    Yamor Posts: 483 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

The AET is about what commitments you'll have and whether you have to look for (more) work.  Not related to transitional protection.
    The AET is relevant for transitional protection in one way:
    If you earn over the AET in your first AP, and then later go below that threshold for 3 APs in a row, then you will lose your transitional protection.
    For these purposes, they look at the AET as it was at the point of migration.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Spoonie_Turtle Posts: 8,566 Forumite
    Options
    Yamor said:

The AET is relevant for transitional protection in one way:
    If you earn over the AET in your first AP, and then later go below that threshold for 3 APs in a row, then you will lose your transitional protection.
    For these purposes, they look at the AET as it was at the point of migration.
    Oops, I had totally forgotten that, thanks.  Good to know they keep the same threshold as at the point of migration though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure