Heat Pump Theft

Options
Redlander
Redlander Posts: 62 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
I'm thinking of installing an air source heat pump but the only practical location is at the front of the house and I'm concerned that it might vulnerable to theft. Is that a serious issue? Do thefts of heat pumps actually occur? What can I do to minimise the risk?

Comments

• Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The risk of theft is pretty low. They are too heavy, and not valuable enough, to be worth deploying a multi-person gang on. The chances of you getting permission to put it at the front of the house are pretty low, too. (although there are some amendments to planning rules coming, so watch this space).
  • matt_drummer
    matt_drummer Posts: 1,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 May at 10:39AM
    Options
    Mine is on the front of my house and it is still there.

Unless you live in a conservation area the front of the house falls within permitted development.

Planning permission is not required for the front of a building as long as all the other conditions of permitted development are met.

The chances of being able to install a heat pump at the front of your house are extremely high, not pretty low!
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Secondhand value is going to be pretty low. But if you are concerned, you can buy metal cages to protect them. And install a security camera.
    koru
  • matt_drummer
    Options
    Redlander said:
    I'm thinking of installing an air source heat pump but the only practical location is at the front of the house and I'm concerned that it might vulnerable to theft. Is that a serious issue? Do thefts of heat pumps actually occur? What can I do to minimise the risk?
    I just saw your other thread, you live in a conservation area.

You won't be able to install a heat pump on the front of your house without planning permission.

I would imagine the chances of approval are quite low!
  • Redlander
    Redlander Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I've looked at past planning applications and I've found one that permitted an ASHP at the front in a conservation area. I've not yet found any that were refused on those grounds.
  • matt_drummer
    Options
    Redlander said:

I've looked at past planning applications and I've found one that permitted an ASHP at the front in a conservation area. I've not yet found any that were refused on those grounds.
    Good, you'll be OK then.
  • Jemma01
    Jemma01 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    They are rather ugly and bulky, I wouldn't buy a house with a huge pump in my face. That's just my thoughts as a buyer. You might not be planning to sell your house, but consider what the future might hold.
  • MP1995
    MP1995 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 20 May at 1:03PM
    Options
    Jemma01 said:
    They are rather ugly and bulky, I wouldn't buy a house with a huge pump in my face. That's just my thoughts as a buyer. You might not be planning to sell your house, but consider what the future might hold.
    Would you rather a gas boiler that pumps out 215 grams for every kwh or a heat pump that (with the generation mix taken into account) will pump out 20grams per kWh based on a very low scop of 3.

It's an interesting quandary, destroy the planet quicker as you don't like a square box with a fan in it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback