Getting Broadband without paying BT £130 to connect our land line

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
8 replies 8.7K views
TouserTouser Forumite
74 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi,

I have recently moved into rented accommodation with two friends, I have made inquires into the landline at my new house and have been told by BT that I will need to pay around £130 to get a landline put into the house and on top of that is the £11 a month rental.

The question I have is there anyway around paying this e.g. if I was to get broadband and phone through another company e.g. Tiscali, would I still need to pay this connection charge to BT, or can any one suggest any other viable alternatives?

Thanks.

Replies

• espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Touser wrote: »
    Hi,

I have recently moved into rented accommodation with two friends, I have made inquires into the landline at my new house and have been told by BT that I will need to pay around £130 to get a landline put into the house and on top of that is the £11 a month rental.

The question I have is there anyway around paying this e.g. if I was to get broadband and phone through another company e.g. Tiscali, would I still need to pay this connection charge to BT, or can any one suggest any other viable alternatives?

Thanks.

Yes because the likes of Tiscali insist that you arrange and pay for line installation, even though they could do this themselves if they wanted to. Your only other option is possibly mobile broadband.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • JMC39JMC39 Forumite
    218 Posts
    Can you get cable?
  • TouserTouser Forumite
    74 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks JMC39,

I hadn't thought of that, I've just phoned Virgin Media and they have said that I can get 4mb broadband for £17 a month.

Which seems like it will solve the problem.
  • We have no landline but we have broadband.

Here's how:

You by a broadband USB modem from Three. It costs me £15 per month (that gives me the modem for nothing). You plug the tiny modem in to your computers USB port. That gives you instant broadband access at Turbo speeds.

They also do a Pay As You Go version.

The broadband signal comes through the air rather than through your landline, like a mobile signal only at broadband speeds.

If you have a 3 shop in your local shopping centre they have one you can look at.

You can plug it into any computer at home and when your away, as long as you are in a Turbo area.

Here's the link:
    http://www.three.co.uk/personal/products_services_/mobile_broadband_/index.omp

Also you can speak to a customer service adviser on the website and ask them questions about it through IM.

And you can check coverage for where you live on the site.

It works for me.

Hope this helps,

Ally
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Touser wrote: »
    Thanks JMC39,

I hadn't thought of that, I've just phoned Virgin Media and they have said that I can get 4mb broadband for £17 a month.

Which seems like it will solve the problem.

You can get 2mb and a phone line for £15.50p a month.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/bb_deal.html
  • novellinovelli Forumite
    640 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I went thu the phone co-op (google it), and they reconnected the line for 5.00. I can either sign up to thier broadband or any others.
    I just didnt want to pay anything to BT!!
  • PitchshifterPitchshifter Forumite
    264 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    The phone co op will charge £116.33 for installing a new telephone line, so it's a little cheaper than BT.
  • espressoespresso Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The phone co op will charge £116.33 for installing a new telephone line, so it's a little cheaper than BT.

However BT are the only provider that can't restrict your access to other cheaper providers, so the small saving is worthless.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides