We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

How do I find out which banks are grouped together?

Options
2»

Comments

• IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,246 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    gravel_2 said:
    The government would NEVER allow one of the big banks to go under. They would just be taken into state ownership. I really wouldn't worry. The one thing I learned from the banking crisis is that if a big bank's shares go right down they are well worth buying, because before they go bump the government (taxpayer) will stump up.
    Bradford and Bingley?
    Isn't that a perfect example proving Mr Generous's point?
    Only if you think they were right when they said "The one thing I learned from the banking crisis is that if a big bank's shares go right down they are well worth buying". I have about 500 I can sell you. :)
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • kaMelo
    kaMelo Posts: 2,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    gravel_2 said:
    The government would NEVER allow one of the big banks to go under. They would just be taken into state ownership. I really wouldn't worry. The one thing I learned from the banking crisis is that if a big bank's shares go right down they are well worth buying, because before they go bump the government (taxpayer) will stump up.
    Bradford and Bingley?

Absolutely not, whilst the deposits where safe shareholders lost everything, as they should when a company goes bust. .
    As above, I've also got 500 shares in B&B if you want to buy them
  • MACKEM99
    MACKEM99 Posts: 934 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Bradford and Bingley?
    Northern Rock?
  • mebu60
    mebu60 Posts: 986 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    MACKEM99 said:
    Northern Rock?
    Northern Soul? 
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MACKEM99 said:
    Bradford and Bingley?
    Northern Rock?

Hardly major, but taken over by Virgin Money. next?
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,490 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    kaMelo said:
    gravel_2 said:
    Bradford and Bingley?

Absolutely not, whilst the deposits where safe shareholders lost everything, as they should when a company goes bust. .
    As above, I've also got 500 shares in B&B if you want to buy them

B&B not a major bank, look at the shares in Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds, Halifax etc - the share price during the banking crisis V's now. You backed the wrong horse.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    B&B not a major bank, look at the shares in Barclays, Nat West, Lloyds, Halifax etc - the share price during the banking crisis V's now. You backed the wrong horse.
    Not sure if it's the point you're making, but those banking shares have pretty much flatlined over those 15+ years, compared with what went before, so backing UK banking stocks at all would have been the wrong horse!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure