PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Off plan new build sales

Options
How early before practical completion do the big developers generally start selling their developments off plan? As soon as they get planning permission? After demolition? After foundations laid? Etc. 

Comments

• ciderboy2009
    ciderboy2009 Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    There's no real "rule" that you can use.  They simply start selling them off plan when they decide to.

They tend to release a batch of properties and then not release any more until those have all sold (or nearly all sold).  This allows them to advertise using straplines such as "only x properties currently available" and other sales techniques.

When my parents bought their house they made it clear that they were only interested in a single property on the estate.  They still got phone calls each week offering other ones as the one they wanted hadn't been released and may not be for some time.
  • Mrnkar_2
    Mrnkar_2 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's no real "rule" that you can use.  They simply start selling them off plan when they decide to.

They tend to release a batch of properties and then not release any more until those have all sold (or nearly all sold).  This allows them to advertise using straplines such as "only x properties currently available" and other sales techniques.

When my parents bought their house they made it clear that they were only interested in a single property on the estate.  They still got phone calls each week offering other ones as the one they wanted hadn't been released and may not be for some time.
    Yes the same happened to my daughter. Some were built but she looked at the plans and decided on the one she wanted. The builders kept telling her that it won't be built for another 6 months and tried to persuade her to buy one of the others. The one she wanted was on a corner and had the biggest garden. Luckily she was a FTB and waited and got her house.
  • Ybe
    Ybe Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

But normally they start selling the first plots fairly early before anything is actually built right? 
  • Mrnkar_2
    Mrnkar_2 Posts: 76 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ybe said:

But normally they start selling the first plots fairly early before anything is actually built right? 
    If you know who the builder is you could check their website. 
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,782 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Recently had this conversation with a sales person on a big development where they are currently going through planning ahead of starting their second tranche of houses. Like others here, I would only be interested in one particular house. I was told that they would slowly release them a few at a time - got the impression that it was at about the stage when they have finished the foundations.Was advised what to do is stay in touch with the developer throughout and they will continually update on progress - I have something to sell so was looking for a guide as to when to get current property on the market in order to be SSTC by release to reserve the property. Of course, seeing the post above I now wonder if that keeping in touch was really just so they can spend the whole time trying to persuade you to buy something different.
  • SarahB16
    SarahB16 Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dander said:
    Recently had this conversation with a sales person on a big development where they are currently going through planning ahead of starting their second tranche of houses. Like others here, I would only be interested in one particular house. I was told that they would slowly release them a few at a time - got the impression that it was at about the stage when they have finished the foundations.Was advised what to do is stay in touch with the developer throughout and they will continually update on progress - I have something to sell so was looking for a guide as to when to get current property on the market in order to be SSTC by release to reserve the property. Of course, seeing the post above I now wonder if that keeping in touch was really just so they can spend the whole time trying to persuade you to buy something different.

The 'keeping in touch' is because they are concerned you will lose interest and will not purchase the home that you actually wish to purchase, i.e. they are genuinely concerned you will walk away from the sale. 

It's all about sales for the developer.  Yes, of course, they would prefer it if you bought a home that they were bringing to the market sooner but ultimately they do not want you to walk away from the home you like and want to purchase. 

Keeping in touch allows them to see you are still interested and if you say you are no longer interested they will try to tempt you with something, i.e. they will throw something into the house purchase for you for free. 
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There are no hard or fast rules as to when developers release plots for sale.

Some will release before work has even started on the plots, others wait longer.

Our plot was nearly finished before it was released for sale due to the build order. We are on a corner plot so the house was built to complete the street but wasn't actually released for sale until the street where the garage and driveway are accessed was built.
  • tim9966
    tim9966 Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On mine I put my name down the day the plot was released in November 2016, and moved in 7 months later in June 2017. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure