PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Partial payment after exchange

Options
I have had an offer accepted (£460k) for a house which turned out to be an unmortgageable house. My mortgage application was declined and the reason is "due to the nature of work required to complete the extension". A 80 m2 extension, interior needs completing, half of it plasterboarded, and the rest remains uncompleted.

We can try to purchase this house with cash, my max which we can raise  would be around £400k.

Would it be legally possible pay £400k , exchange then after one year pay the remaining 60k. So tax will be paid fully for £460k

Of course this is subject to the vendor's approval. Before raising it with them just wanna hear your experiences even if this is sth technically/legally possible, many thanks

Ps: Our position as a buyer is nothing to sell. Thanks

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,623 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If the house is not mortgageable maybe the vendor needs to lower the price.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,732 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I doubt the vendor would agree. 

Changing the subject an 80 sq metre extension is the size of a small 3 bedroom house, so understandable if a lender declined to lend.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 11 May at 3:35PM
    Options

If the seller trusts you to do that, that's fine.

But...
    • Can the seller afford to buy their next house if you underpay them by £60k?
    • What will the seller do if you don't pay the £60k? (They could put a charge on the house, but going through the courts to get you evicted and the house sold to get their £60k would take a long time, and be expensive.)

Where would you get the £60k from in a year's time? Are you assuming you'd get a mortgage in a year's time...
    • What money would you use to finish the house in the meantime, before applying for the mortgage?
    • What if you can't get a mortgage?
    • What if finishing the extension takes longer than a year?

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    As above, theoretically yes (assuming you mean "complete" rather than "exchange"), but why would a seller agree to that?
  • london.cidade
    london.cidade Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 May at 3:54PM
    Options
    eddddy said:

But...
    • What will the seller do if you don't pay the £60k? (They could put a charge on the house, but going through the courts to get you evicted and the house sold to get their £60k would take a long time, and be expensive.)

Where would you get the £60k from in a year's time? Are you assuming you'd get a mortgage in a year's time...
    • What money would you use to finish the house in the meantime, before applying for the mortgage?

Hi Eddy, 

The sellers  split, the wife already moved out, the husband is living in but will rent once completed. So they will be short of £30k for each. They will get £200k instead of £230k.

This house needs at least £100k for  completing the remaining work. So we might well need more than a year. We will do diy as much as we can. Painting & flooring and plastering will be done by us, we will need to hire builders for the rest.

We will pay the remaining amount (£60k) together with my brother, it will come from our salaries. So we are not considering to apply for a mortgage.

Wrt sellers trust on us, thanks for the comment. i think this may be arranged with legally binding clauses between solicitors. Hopefully this can provide some assurances for the seller.
  • london.cidade
    london.cidade Posts: 147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Brie said:
    If the house is not mortgageable maybe the vendor needs to lower the price.
    I will definitely have that conversation, what amount of decrease should we expect/target in that case? Thank you
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,779 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unlikely given the split. Most couples who split want as much money as possible asap in order to set up their own lives as single people and may be needing to lower their expectations as to lifestyle in any event.

If there was certainty you would have the money, perhaps money being tied up maturing then that might help things but if you're planning on paying for it from salaries it would be a hard no way for me, what if you lose your jobs? 

Likely a total non-starter. 
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 11 May at 4:31PM
    Options
    eddddy said:

But...

i think this may be arranged with legally binding clauses between solicitors. Hopefully this can provide some assurances for the seller.
    There's a difference between something being "legally binding", and being easy to enforce (or a good idea).
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,601 Forumite
    edited 11 May at 4:56PM
    Options

Wrt sellers trust on us, thanks for the comment. i think this may be arranged with legally binding clauses between solicitors. Hopefully this can provide some assurances for the seller.

As above...

I can sign a legally binding document saying I will pay you £60k in a year's time.

But what will you do if I don't pay?

Either because I don't have £60k, or I simply decide not to pay you?

Maybe I'll lose my job, maybe I'll spend all my money on exotic holidays, maybe the building work goes way over budget - or maybe I'm just a nasty person, and I decide not to pay.

Like I say - why would you trust me to pay?

I can't really see anyone agreeing to that idea - especially if they ask their solicitor first.

• Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,697 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt the vendor would agree. 

Changing the subject an 80 sq metre extension is the size of a small 3 bedroom house, so understandable if a lender declined to lend.
    As above it is a very large extension. How big is the original house?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure