We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Can anyone identify this plant please?

Options
goldfinches
goldfinches Posts: 2,195 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Hello and thanks for reading this message.
While weeding my new allotment I've uncovered a thriving plant my fellow allotmenteers aren't sure about so I'm hoping MSEers can help.

Here is a photo 

And here is a close up.

I can't help being suspicious that it's a weed partly because it's doing so well whereas all the good stuff is looking very 'weedy' IYSWIM! It would be lovely if it turned out to be something edible though so I'm crossing my fingers.

"Only the most pleasant characters in this book are portraits of living people and the events here recorded unfortunately never took place"

The Tiger In The Smoke
by
Margery Allingham

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,888 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I am pretty sure it is Evening Primrose.
  • Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    I am pretty sure it is Evening Primrose.
    Agreed. Most likely Oenothera biennis. Inherited loads when we moved to our current house.
    Pretty, if you like hi-vis yellow. :D  https://species.wikimedia.org/wiki/Oenothera_biennis
    I much prefer the soft apricot shaded O.versicolor, but grow either to seeding stage, and you'll never need to plant another!

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.” Aldous Huxley
  • goldfinches
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the identification; it's going tomorrow, before it gets a chance to bloom!

"Only the most pleasant characters in this book are portraits of living people and the events here recorded unfortunately never took place"

The Tiger In The Smoke
    by
    Margery Allingham
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,888 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for the identification; it's going tomorrow, before it gets a chance to bloom!
    Why? they sport very large pretty flowers, I would at least wait to see what variety it is.
  • KajiKita
    KajiKita Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    It’s great for insects but hungry for space …. Some people say it’s nicely scented but it does nothing for me! 😉

KK 
    As at 15.05.24:
    - When bought house £315,995 mortgage debt and end date at start = October 2039 <gulp>, now £252,383, end date brought closer by 2 months  
    - OPs to mortgage = £6,480, Interest saved £2,415, to date
    - LTV 51% @ccord, 51% Yopa
    Fixed rate 2.17% ends October 2024

Read 23 books of target 52 in 2024 (as @ 4th June)
    Produce tracker: £40.58 of £300

Watch your thoughts, they become your words. Watch your words, they become your actions. Watch your actions, they become your reality. 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,374 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Why? they sport very large pretty flowers, I would at least wait to see what variety it is.
    Have to agree, very pretty & insect friendly, not a thug either, easy to remove if in wrong spot

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Is there a bank or hedgerow you could put it in to draw the polinating insects for your crops?
    Do it just before rain and it could take.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• goldfinches
    Options
    It's going tomorrow sometime because I don't want to spread a plant that neighbouring plots don't want. We've got enough thistles, couch grass, dandelions, creeping buttercup, willowherb and forget-me-nots to deal with as it is, not to mention the strawberries making a valiant attempt to take over the entire site.
    I may try to follow 2p's suggestion of popping it in somewhere in the woodland garden area outside our walled garden, it depends what I can find time for tomorrow.
    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

The Tiger In The Smoke
    by
    Margery Allingham
  • delafontaine
    delafontaine Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I used plantIn app to identify plants, very usefull app

• Dustyevsky
    Dustyevsky Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Photogenic
    Options
    Hi
    I used plantIn app to identify plants, very usefull app

But it's subscription-based, and my brain's free.
    (First post recommending anything that costs, raises suspicions here.)

“An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex.” Aldous Huxley
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure