PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

House Buyers Want to Bring Architects In

Options
I am in the process of selling my empty house.
I have had an offer from a buyer & even before a Memorandum Of Sale has been issued the buyers have requested that their architects are allowed access.
I find this a bit disconcerting to be honest.
Should I wait until Exchange of Contracts before allowing this ??
Any comments ??

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mainly because I have nothing to say the prospective buyers are going to buy the property !!

• BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 966 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 4:41PM
    Options
    And they might want to know what the architect says before they decide for certain.

Are you also going to refuse access for surveyors?  For any other inspections that they might want/need?

There's at least one poster on here who takes the view of "two viewings and then you're banned until it's paid for".  Most of us don't see the point in being difficult about it, especially on an empty house.
  • ognum
    ognum Posts: 4,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would let architect in even before an offer, how does it hurt?
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 May at 4:50PM
    Options
    And they might want to know what the architect says before they decide for certain.

Are you also going to refuse access for surveyors?  For any other inspections that they might want/need?

There's at least one poster on here who takes the view of "two viewings and then you're banned until it's paid for".  Most of us don't see the point in being difficult about it, especially on an empty house.
    I am not refusing access to anyone.
    I am not being difficult either.

• MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 10 May at 4:49PM
    Options
    Maybe they want to make sure what they want to do is 'doable' so it doesn't waste your time or theirs.

Would you rather you accept the offer - the architect goes in the day before exchange and they pull out because they can't get their project off the ground?

Do you have anything to hide? If not - try to be a co-operative seller.
    This. They are most likely wanting to make some changes to the property and need their architect to guide them on viability and, possibly, rough costs.

For me, that would add a slight risk to the sale proceeding, so I'd not necessarily take the house off the market, but I'd certainly allow the architect to do her thing.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,325 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

I am not refusing access to anyone.
    I am not being difficult either.

From a buyer's perspective  you might come across as being so though if you insisted they waited until exchange before allowing access to an architect (even if it's not your intention). Try not to put up roadblocks from the get go - if you can be as co-operative and approachable as possible, you'll hopefully get a smooth, easy sale.
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • BobT36
    BobT36 Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Clearly this means they WANT to buy the house.. 
    If they find something that puts them off (such as part of their project that will be impossible), isn't it better they find that out and pull out sooner, rather than later? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure