Newbie seeks ISA advice

Options
Please forgive me if this question is a bit dumb. I hope someone here can explain the basics.

I have 2 Cash ISAs maturing on 31 May, both with Coventry BS. One is an Active Loyalty Fixed Isa and the other is just a Fixed ISA. Both amount to £37k in total.

The nice lady on the phone told me that I could reinvest in the entire combined sum of £37k in a new ISA and because it was a reinvestment from previous years, it would not count against my ISA allowance for the Current Tax year. Moreover I could also add money to this total sum invested if I wished to. Is this true?

I also have about £50k in 2 Bonds also maturing this month (held with Charter Savings Bank) and if it is allowed, I would like to add this to the combined sum ISA they advise me I could take out.

I also have £20k in my bank account which I would like to invest in a brand new ISA for the current tax year.

So my question is - can I do all this without breaking the ISA rules or was I given wrong advice? Thank you everyone for shining a light if possible...

Comments

• slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can only add £20k of "new" money in any tax year. So if you use the £20k in the bank to invest in an ISA then you can't add any more new money. The £50k in the bonds will have to wait for another tax year. Other combinations are possible (eg 10+10) but the total mustn't exceed £20k.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The advice you've been given is correct - you can transfer the money that's already into ISAs into a new one, and top up with an additional £20K of new 2024/25 money as well (but not £50K from non-ISA accounts).
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    SavvyBren said:

The nice lady on the phone told me that I could reinvest in the entire combined sum of £37k in a new ISA and because it was a reinvestment from previous years, it would not count against my ISA allowance for the Current Tax year. Moreover I could also add money to this total sum invested if I wished to. Is this true?

Yes this is true. You can combine old ISAs into one new one. Or two new ones.

You also have a £20k ISA allowance for the current year. You can add some or all of that £20k to the ISA(s) you transfer the old ISAs to - subject to the T&Cs of your new ISA(s).

SavvyBren said:

I also have about £50k in 2 Bonds also maturing this month (held with Charter Savings Bank) and if it is allowed, I would like to add this to the combined sum ISA they advise me I could take out.

If those are ISAs, you can transfer them to ISAs. If they are not, in the current tax year you can only put £20k of the £50k into any ISA of your choice, including the one(s) you transfer your old Coventry ISAs into (again, subject to the T&Cs of the ISA).

Whether you want to keep your ISA with Coventry is up to you - there are currently providers with better rates than Coventry though not all of them offer transfers-in. I currently plan to move my Coventry ISA to Zopa when it matures end of the month.

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In addition to the upto £20k you can contribute into ISA(s) each tax year it might be worth considering that you can hold up to £50k in premium bonds for tax free returns.
  • jonnypb
    jonnypb Posts: 326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    SavvyBren said:
    I have 2 Cash ISAs maturing on 31 May, both with Coventry BS. One is an Active Loyalty Fixed Isa and the other is just a Fixed ISA. Both amount to £37k in total.

Yes just make sure you do a TRANSFER of this £37k to a new ISA as that will then not count towards this years £20k allowance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback