🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

"If I knew then what I know now" what would you invest in?

Options

Comments

• boingy
    boingy Posts: 1,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd have focussed on SIPPs much earlier. The amount of commission and fees that various pension companies had off me in the early days is obscene.

Also, I'd have kept all my Dinky toys rather than giving them to my nephews.  :D
  • noclaf
    noclaf Posts: 899 Forumite
    Options
    Biggest regret was not taking an interest in my work pension earlier and missing out on at least a couple of years of growth potential by not switching to 100% Global Equities earlier and maximising employer matching contributions. 
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Another vote for a cheap, global, equity market tracker.

Ignore all the "Well that's okay if you only want the average market return," and the "That means you've got the dregs as well as the stars,"  commentary.

The market return, over time, is excellent, AND you're highly likely to fail even to match it if you try to beat it.
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I cannot remember my first investment but it was around thirty years ago. So I will have traded over 100 companies in that time. 
    I believe that will make my profits and losses average out.
    I seem to be doing well over the past 18 months investing in individual stocks.
    Sometimes getting a 20% uplift in a matter of weeks.
    Since 2020 all my shares are in a SIPP, a lot of money to me, but probably less than a year's wages to some posters on here.
    I am sure we all feel posative when the stock market is increasing. 
  • DiamondLil
    DiamondLil Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I cannot remember my first investment but it was around thirty years ago. So I will have traded over 100 companies in that time. 

My first investment was in Schroder UK Growth Fund; also around thirty years ago. But I can't remember if / when I sold it.

• aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    +1 for low cost global tracker. But although the US has outperformed during the last decade, even with hindsight I think I would have underweighted the US (though probably not as much as I have).
  • EthicsGradient
    EthicsGradient Posts: 952 Forumite
    Options
    It wasn't the very first investment I made, but the one I've held continuously for longest is F&C Investment Trust - since Nov 94. I'd have probably done better if I'd just invested everything in that, until decent global index trackers came along and then switched to them, rather than trying to guess which world region was most likely to do well next (which is why I'm still underweight in the USA - so often I thought "they've just had a good run, it won't continue, put the money somewhere else" - and have a mess of funds and ETFs to try and balance/simplify/optimise for charges and CGT). 
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,576 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    +1 for low cost global tracker. But although the US has outperformed during the last decade, even with hindsight I think I would have underweighted the US (though probably not as much as I have).
    Hindsight called and told me that however much I underweighted the US, I'd have been better off letting the market decide that for me. I suppose any attempt to be clever about allocations overestimates my ability to recognise true anomalies in the market. That said, I'm still underweighting the US. Time will tell whether global ex-US outperforms, but it's very difficult to add money to companies that command the resources of whole countries and appear very overvalued.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,314 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

My first investment was in Schroder UK Growth Fund; also around thirty years ago. But I can't remember if / when I sold it.

I think my first investment was a Lloyds Bank smaller companies fund, some 40 odd years ago. In my inexperienced eyes it did OK (as in didn't lose money). I think even made maybe 50% (so a couple of hundred £) over a few years, but I never knew what was in it.
  • Bostonerimus1
    Bostonerimus1 Posts: 611 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What would I invest in with hindsight? The asset with the biggest gain over the last 35 years. If I was starting now I'd do exactly what I've done for the last 35 years because I still think it's sensible and the best way to financial independence.

Spend less than you make, and invest in low cost index funds inside tax advantaged accounts like pensions and ISAs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure