"If I knew then what I know now" what would you invest in?

Options
Title pretty much sums it up. I'd be really interested to know what people would invest in today if they knew then what they know now. I am sure i'll get a lot of Apple, Bitcoin etc answers but would you invest in something other than property etc?

I see so may posts from very intelligent people (dragons etc) saying that we should all invest but in all honesty I can't get my head around everything I have read in terms of investing, it just doesn't seem to want to convert in my brain and I wouldn't know where to start and how little is too little. :)

Thank you for any input

Comments

• BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My dad who died in 1987 at the age of 50 always wanted to buy Krugerrands - I think he was right.  Sadly never took his advice - wish I had.
  • N6xxy
    N6xxy Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you, yes that is the impression I get that you're not really investing...you're gambling on whatever you are putting money into going up in value one day and selling/walking away at the right time and at the highest value. On that premise it is also much 'safer' for someone who already has a nice wedge of money to invest.
  • N6xxy
    edited 10 May at 2:41PM
    Options
    I hadn't heard of Krugerrands before, are they the equivalent of buying gold bars?

I wonder whether over paying the mortgage is a good move but then with the interests rates going up and down, it could be a moot point...also do you look back after paying it off and think that's great but we should have used that money to have the experiences we are now too old to fully take advantage of. Oh to have a crystal ball!
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't have ever "invested"in a with profits fund.
    In the days when getting any information on pension and other funds was very difficult unless you were wealthy enough to have a stockbroker, with profits were (and still are :/ ) extremely difficult to understand, even with the information that was provided when they were taken out.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    N6xxy said:
    Thank you, yes that is the impression I get that you're not really investing...you're gambling on whatever you are putting money into going up in value one day and selling/walking away at the right time and at the highest value.
    Not quite sure what you're meaning with the bolded wording, but my point is effectively the opposite, i.e. that trying to identify specific individual companies that'll do well is much more akin to gambling, whereas playing the odds and investing in well-diversified portfolios, typically via collective investments such as funds, isn't really gambling, in that over enough time you're practically guaranteed to come out ahead.
  • N6xxy
    Options
    I don't know why it went bold, It wasn't like that on my screen... oooh I see so investing in companies that have consistently done well over the years? So buying shares in well established companies etc?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback