🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ryan Air - not allowed to fly

Options
Hi, Ryanair was not allowed to check in my suitcase and fly from Manchester to Bratislava because of cosmetic damage to the front and back of my passport cover. The insides, in particularly, the identification pages etc are all pristine.  And I have flown with the same cosmetically damaged passport to Portugal with EasyJet previously.  Is there any way I can obtain a refund plus compensation at all? I have lost hundreds with not just the flights but also hotels, transport etc. 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,930 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Airlines will make a judgement based on the agents assessment of the document, and airlines are on the hook if they let you fly and then you get turned away from the other country, and deported, because your document is damaged.

I cant imagine any compensation would be due.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    maverico said:
    Hi, Ryanair was not allowed to check in my suitcase and fly from Manchester to Bratislava because of cosmetic damage to the front and back of my passport cover. The insides, in particularly, the identification pages etc are all pristine.  And I have flown with the same cosmetically damaged passport to Portugal with EasyJet previously.  Is there any way I can obtain a refund plus compensation at all? I have lost hundreds with not just the flights but also hotels, transport etc. 
    What exactly does the "cosmetic damage" consist of?  There are several of the items listed that apply to the outside rather than the inside:

A damaged passport is one which the customer cannot use as proof of identity because of its condition.

Damage can include:

• when the personal details or observation page are unreadable

• laminate peeling or lifting away from the personal details page

• unreadable security details

• missing or detached pages

• where the front, back or personal details page has been cut

• damage or discolouration to any part of the passport caused, for example, by:

• water

• chemical or ink spills

• tears, rips, bite marks

• on a blue e-Passport, where the:

• perforated passport numbers have been torn (the perforations will show slight charring, this is normal)

• personal details page is broken or cracked

• where the chip or antenna shows through the:

• endpaper on back cover of a burgundy e-Passport

• personal details page of a blue e-Passport

• when, after investigation, we identify the passport chip as damaged and not faulty

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/damaged-and-faulty-passports/damaged-british-passports-accessible#definitions-of-damage-or-fraudulent-tampering
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,603 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What's the nature and extent of the cosmetic damage?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • maverico
    maverico Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    eDicky said:
    What's the nature and extent of the cosmetic damage?
    See photos - the interior has no damage whatsoever
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,732 Forumite
    Options
    That's in a bit of a state, I can easily see why that might fall foul of the checks for cuts, rips or tears, despite these not having made it through to the inside pages.
  • maverico
    First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    That's in a bit of a state, I can easily see why that might fall foul of the checks for cuts, rips or tears, despite these not having made it through to the inside pages.
    hmm okay thanks for your feedback, didn't seem it to me and maybe the close up doesn't help but I'm not subjective. I have flown with it like that with EasyJet with no issues. I'm annoyed at myself for nit handing it over with the page open!
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,969 Forumite
    edited 11 May at 5:44AM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    The first image also shows through to the imprinted digits. You need to replace that passport before further attempts to travel on it lead to disappointment.

That is a new style passport as well. Was that damage from water?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,152 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Without commenting on the state of your passport, anecdotally it seems they are particularly vigilant at Manchester airport. I have read a story of someone who was rejected there and bought a separate flight to London (no passport required) and then persuaded the operator to allow him to continue his onward journey even though he hadn’t taken his first MAN- LHR flight. 

Here’s another story from a journalist who encountered a similar issue. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/i-shall-stand-against-boris-myself-if-he-comes-north-0gbmxrp68

it’s behind a paywall, the salient para “ Arriving with our suitcases at the Qatar Airways check-in counter at Manchester airport on Christmas Eve, I was told by the assistant to wait a moment. She walked off with my passport. She returned, having consulted her manager. My passport was invalid, she said, showing me the title page. I could see nothing amiss. Then she pointed to the margin where (with wear) a tiny section was loose from the binding, which will have been caused by repeated flattening of the passport against the glass in automatic gates. This would not show on automatic scanning systems, where I’ve never had any trouble. The decision of her manager (a handling agent) was apparently final. ”
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • maverico
    First Post
    Options
    Westin said:
    eskbanker said:
    The first image also shows through to the imprinted digits. You need to replace that passport before further attempts to travel on it lead to disappointment.

That is a new style passport as well. Was that damage from water? Puppy got hold of it. I have flown with EasyJet with it with no problems and no issues at the countries or any airport staff in the UK. I have requested the one week fast track passport as Im flying abroad again in a weeks time. My MP has offered to write to Ryanair but right now Im more focused on my next trip. Ive also ordered a Passport Holder to see if that helps!
    The camera is too good on my iPhone - the holes shown are not visible to the naked eye!  Puppy got
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure